Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide help!

I put a tri tip on around 1130 and set the circulator to 131. I left the house around 2 and it was still on at 131. So it has at least 2.5 hrs to pasteurized. I just got home around 430 and it was off and the temperature was 109. Someone was home and said the power probably went off an hour ago.

I just turned it back on to 131 but do I need to toss it and get pizza tonight?

One hour at 131 knocks out lots of microbes.

Myself, I would sear the ever-living crap out of the exterior and consume.

Comment

Jerod Broussard if it were just me I'd feel better but I've got 2 young kids, my wife, and mother in law.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, that is why I pre-sear, in case of an oops, I've taken care of the exterior.

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        Get pizza for the wife and kids, you and the mother-in-law can take your chances.

Freeze it immediately and then ship it overnight to me. I'll eat it & let you know if I get sick... ( I won't! )

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        😆. That's funny!👍

It should be fine.

Comment

According to my dear GF who is a clinical microbiologist, the greater danger for contamination is at the surface. This is why ground meat has a greater chance of being tainted by E. coli since the surface is turned under and mixed through and through in the grinding process. Unless your kids are infants and your Mother-in-law is really old (both strong candidates for compromised immune systems) searing the surface should be fine.
        Last edited by JimmieOhio; May 1, 2016, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Have your Mother-In-Law try it first.

Comment

Lol boftx

Comment

I got the pizza and Fed it to everyone else. I seared the tri tip and it was outstanding. It was so good that the wife and mother in law wanted some. Anyway I'm not dead yet. Sorry I didn't take any pictures.

I love a smoked reverse seared tri tip but this one was way more tender. Had that buttery texture with good beef flavor. Thanks for the help and comical suggestions.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                My experience is the slower beef comes up to temp, the better. Tendernesswise. <--- yes that's a word.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here