Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Chile quandry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Chile quandry

Has anybody ever tried smoking red Chile pods before u blend them?
    Now normally if u make your own red Chile from dried pods u will fill a container about 3/4 of the way with water and soak the pods until they become rehydrated so that they can be put in a blender with fresh garlic, salt and a little pepper. Heat until it boils and then simmer for an hour. Has anybody ever tried putting a hotel pan in the smoker with water and putting the Chile pods in it. I have to smoke 6 pork butts 2 weekends from now and was going to make Carne adobada for my daughter who is graduating from UNM School of Medicine and we going to have a big party!! I thought I would try a smoked Chile flavor. Anybody done anything like that before? ?

Smoke them dry.Then re-hydrate. Unless you're starting out with fresh picked peppers. I smoke and dry many peppers from the garden. Smoke, then dry works well when fresh. Smoke then re-hydrate works well when dry. Yes you can spray a bit of water to allow for smoke adherence if you like, but it isn't really necessary.

The traditional way for preparing dry chills for hydration is to toast them in a pan, or over a fire to get a Mailliard reaction. Then cool and re-hydrate to your recipe requirements. I hope this helps.

Comment

Yeah, that's definitely the way to go. I'd get nice big dried anchos and just put them in a pan in your smoker for a while. Also, instead of hydrating them right away you get more flavor if you cut them open, discard the seeds and toast them in a hot pan for 30 seconds or so just until you get a little browning in spots, like Strat mentions. Then soak them. Also good for your sauce is if you toast your garlic and onions a bit before you blend them.

Comment

• MagWarrior
        MagWarrior commented
        Editing a comment
        Or u could get a couple hole cloves cut the end off and smoke that and the onion as well. I'm talking about making 3 gallons or so of red chile. Around these parts we use hatch chile because we live in southwest new mexico. . Also feeding about 50 people so got to make some enchiladas.

• Tim Clark
        Tim Clark commented
        Editing a comment
        Man, I didn't know you were in New Mexico. I remember once going to Albuquerque from Phoenix and flying back with a couple of 25 pound sacks of hatch chiles! So we're all preaching to the choir here. Definitely smoke the onion as well. 3 gallons of red chile is gonna take a while!

Agreed with Strat and Tim--smoke 'em dry and as cool as possible. I've only smoked fresh jalapenos, so my experience is quite limited. The jalapenos I did took a day or so to dry at a smoking temp around 80°F. Already dried chiles maybe a couple of hours? Open 'em first I would guess to get smoke on both sides.

Let us know how it works out good luck!

Comment

• MagWarrior
        MagWarrior commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah what I do is break the tops off and split them but I think I'll try a small batch first to make sure it's worth the trouble.

Check this guy out @http://www.aldersmoked.com/chile_facts.htm

If you are ever at the Pikes Place market in Seattle he is usually there. My family is addicted to his Alder smoked paprika. One sniff and you will be hooked. They are pricey but worth it.
      Last edited by Mickeylou5; May 1, 2016, 04:48 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here