Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I learned last night why you don't put rib rub on chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I learned last night why you don't put rib rub on chicken

So last night I was doing a test cook at the local bar in preparation for my first cookout of the year on Saturday. It has been a long cold spring and I haven't been able to cook out even ONCE. It got a bit warmer a few weeks ago and promptly started raining every single day. I took a brief trip to sweaty Hong Kong earlier this week and brought the hot weather back with me. Yeah, straight from cold to sweltering, with no good weather in between. Hooray.

So the good news is that cookouts are back on the menu. I'm going to do hamburgers for the bar crowd and a rosemary leg of lamb for my friends. Last night I did an impromptu mini-cookout at the bar, just to find all the problems that were going to pop up on Saturday. Boy, did I find a lot of problems. Ran to the store to get some supplies, a dozen chicken legs and some Chinese hot dog equivalents. Also some potatoes and garlic for this site's mashed potato recipe.

I brought my electric hot plate to the bar to boil water, and good thing I did too, the stove that was there last year was gone. But the hot plate was so weak that it took 30-45 minutes just to boil a pot of water to set the garlic in to boil off the harsh taste like the recipe says. When it finally did boil (on the hottest setting the whole time), it was a weak boil, not a rolling boil. What a ripoff. Fortunately someone noticed that the gas grill had a gas burner on the side. Great! I totally didn't see it there. Problem is, the flame burns very yellow and there's nowhere to adjust it. Fumes, yuck.

At length I finally get the potatoes going and it's time to throw the food on the grill. Problem is, I forgot to bring any spices for the chicken other than salt and pepper. No problem, I had some of Meathead's Memphis Dust pre-made in tupperware. How different can it be? It's got good spices in it and the sugar will caramelize, right? Ha. I rub the chicken and set it in the gas grill with the lid closed for 40 minutes.

The hot dog things come out OK and the chicken is finally ready. I made the mashed potatoes and totally forgot to add the garlic. I found it in the pot when I was cleaning up. All that extra time cooking for nothing. The chicken was really perfectly done! I was worried the gas grill would be too hot, but it came out great. The rib rub...well, it was still sugary. It didn't really melt the sugar like I had assumed. It was like eating chicken with very mild spices and sugar on the outside. Oh well! It was still pretty good. The bar patrons were effusive with praise, but then again they were drunk because by the time I finished it was after midnight. Of course we had no plates or utensils, another problem I will rectify, so we had to use these disposable aluminum ramekin things and chopsticks to eat. The mashed potatoes were decent, but then again they had a quarter pound of butter in them, which will make just about anything taste good. I'm looking forward to the real cookout on Saturday, the leg of lamb is going to be awesome. The burgers will be just to feed the masses, but the lamb is really why I agreed to do the cookout. I'm going to use a ton of rosemary, apple wood, and use a board sauce. Yeah!

Perhaps the Simon and Garfunkle Rub would be more to your liking? http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_...unkel_rub.html

Comment

Sounds like quite a feast! Best o' luck to you. The lamb sounds wonderful.

Lots of people enjoy MMD on chicken, wings, etc but I agree it's very mild, especially in a light dosed application. I like to use my rib rub on chicken, as it's a bit more potent than MMD. But everyone's tastes vary widely in that regard.

Comment

Always great to hear of the trials and tribulations from the far east! Glad the cook came out okay. What is a Chinese equivalent hot dog? I love dogs... Is it hard to eat mashed potato with chopsticks? I imagine its like playing the cello...

Comment

• Lost in China
          Lost in China commented
          Editing a comment
          It looks like a hot dog...it's much shorter. And it can have some strange flavors. I got the "black pepper" flavor which is as close to "normal" as you can get. The Taiwan flavor is most common and is a weird, off flavor that I never learned to appreciate.

It doesn't take very long to get good at chopsticks. 2-3 weeks tops. Then you can eat anything. As long as it doesn't require cutting up, and of course Chinese food is all chopped into bite size pieces in the kitchen before cooking. Mashed potato is an amorphous sticky blob that can be grabbed easily by chopsticks. Will definitely need plastic forks and knives for the lamb, though.
          Last edited by Lost in China; April 29, 2016, 11:07 AM.

I second the vote for Simon and Garfunkle Rub - been using it on chicken and turkey for years.

Comment

like MMHD on chicken. i just wouldn't put it directly on the grill because it doesn't get enough time to caramelize (as you found out). when BBQ'ing chicken for over an hour it works out great. i ran into the same problem when trying to add MMHD to porkchops.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here