Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help college kid w/ "USA of BBQ" trip! (Best sauces, where to find them, and more!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help college kid w/ "USA of BBQ" trip! (Best sauces, where to find them, and more!)

Hey everyone,

My name is David - a student at Ohio State University. I will be spending my summer doing a road trip of the “United States of Smoked Meats/BBQ” to find the best sauces of each region as well as to document some of America's amazing small towns (and the people in them) that many haven't seen. BUT I need your help! Attached is my tentative route, but it needs some guidance. What would be awesome is if you guys could tell me the best sauces from each region that you have had, what restaurant they are from and any other places (non BBQ related) you think I should visit on the way. I can’t wait to start this project and I greatly appreciate your help! Go Bucks!

Alabama:

Carolinas:

Central/East Texas (rubs):

Kansas City:

Memphis:

Other (TN, Louisiana, etc?):

You could spend all summer in Memphis alone. There are dozens of unknown to the outside world cozy corner Q joints all around that city, many with homemade sauce.
    Now I realize I'm not being too helpful, especially since I haven't lived there in 25 yrs, but just a heads up.. you got some work cut out if you want to find the real scenes and not just the cookie cutter tourist joints from Texas to North Carolina.
    Sounds like fun. Good luck and don't party too hard! (I remember those days)

Comment

if you do end up in WI, Bob's Bitchin' BBQ has some great sauces. it's in dodgeville.

good luck on your trip, sounds like a great thing to do to experience and learn things

Comment

Alabama: Big Bob Gibson Original White Sauce and Habanero Red Sauce are my favorites.

Comment

If you are going to central Texas you should go to,Lockhart and try Smitty's, Black's and Kreuz. Austin has Franklin BBQ and I heard recently tha LA BBQ had shorter lines. Driftwood has Salt Lick. The Pecan Lodge in Dallas has beef ribs off the charts. When you enter Texas the tourist center has a BBQ tour of central Texas. When you enter South Carolina they bill themselves as the birthplace of BBQ and have a map listing every joint in the state. I like Stickey Fingers in South Carolina. Louisiana is not known for BBQ, but I have heard good things about the Shack. The Shed nears Ocean Springs, MS is an experience. Rendezvous in Memphis is unique with grilled baby backs.

Comment

David, be sure to read this for info on regional sauces: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/index.html

Comment

Ditto The Shed. Its been ten years since I lived there, but it used to be great. Watch the last video on it on this site. That guy and his sister used to run the place and it was literally a shed covered in license plates, serving up great bbq. Not chain syle BBQ.

Comment

Also, Central BBQ in Memphis.

Comment

• clkq4
                  clkq4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  More direct.....Central BBQ on Central Avenue. That is the original location and still has the best vibe.

Ditto again on Central BBQ.

Also, you might want to stop at Eli's down here in Cincinnati on your way back to Columbus. Pulled pork and sauce are perfectly matched.

Comment

Hit up the Pick-n-Pig in Carthage, NC. It is located on a small airport and has quality NC style BBQ and great location.

Comment

DavidFlyby, you are going to spend just ONE summer? That will be a great summer! But you could probably do the five year plan and not eat at the same place twice!

In addition to eating lots of barbecue, keep your eyes and ears open. The best travelogues aren't really about the topic that they are about. See, William Least Heat Moon.

Although any barbecue lover should start by touring the South and the regional styles, excellent barbecue itself is no longer regional, just like excellent Italian cuisine is no longer isolated in NYC and the Northeast, and hasn't been for decades (although barbecue has just really broken out in the last 25 years or so). Someone needs to do the Midwest, the Pacific coast, the Mid Atlantic, etc.

Comment

• Craigar
                      Craigar commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you come to Omaha, just order the prime rib and forego any BBQ.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here