Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fast Pork Butt, cooking it NOW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fast Pork Butt, cooking it NOW

I've got a butt I need to cook a little fast today. It's about 3 hrs into the cook, and I have a total time available of 7.5-8hrs.

I've got the temp up at 250 or a bit higher.

Any guidance on what temp to settle on to finish? I may not have enough time to get the meat up over 200, but I can pull it off and faux Cambro on the way to BUFFETT concert and shred when I get there.

Crank her to 275! Pork butts can handle it. You could even speed through the stall at 300.

Comment

If you do happen to run out of time, you could always cook to a lower temp and slice instead of pulling.

Comment

thefist YUUP, fellow Parrot Head, I'd cook it between 275 F and 300 F. They can take the heat. Plus you'll get better bark!!!!! If you take it off in the 190's you'll be fine if it goes into the cambro. You should be good on time. Great call on not pulling till the show, as you don't want it to dry out at home. Have a great time. Nothing like a Buffet show. FINS UP!!!!!!

Comment

• thefist
          thefist commented
          Editing a comment
          Fins up Spinaker !
          Last edited by thefist; April 21, 2016, 09:16 AM.

My goal is to get anything over 190. I haven't done an overnight cook yet, and 6:30 was as early as I was willing to rise this morning. I'll have the foil and cooler ready when the troops arrive to get me. Wrap it and go! Temp is 152 now, so about ready to stall. Almost time for a beer run.

This is the first butt on the KJ Jr. Interesting temp observations. I calibrated the dome thermometer yesterday, and I also use an iGrill, which checked out fine yesterday. At the start of the cook, iGrill on the grate was about 211, where the dome was near 250. Junior is small, so the dome thermometer is fairly close to top of the butt, and maybe 3" away from iGrill probe. Maybe an hour later the temps were about the same.
        Now, there is a 40 degree difference (dome 250, iGrill 290). The meat is probably acting as a shield for the dome probe, somewhat, but this is surprising to me on such a little grill. Of course the metal thermometer could be off, but it was calibrated a day ago.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          @https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/member/8823-thefist Butts tend to cook faster on the Kamado Joe Junior. If you are. In the stall you might want to wrap to reach your deadline. I go for an internal temp of 225. Dome temp of 275 or 300 won't hurt a thing.

• thefist
          thefist commented
          Editing a comment
          I just wrapped it, 163. In 2.5hrs it comes off as it is. There was almost no bark, so it seems only the first piece of wood really got lit. I got work to do.
          Maybe should have done the kettle/SnS for this cook, as I know it better.

thefist, Is the Buffet starting on the Right or Left? I want to be first! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          hahahaaha, Jimmy Buffet man. Not Buffet line. You are something else Dan!! Danjohnston949

• thefist
          thefist commented
          Editing a comment
          Fins to the LEFT, FOOD to the right!

if you are cooking it faster you should take it further in internal temp in order to be as fall-apart. when i cooked low i could take it to 195 and it would be perfect, when i cook it fast it needs to be 203 to be the same point (that's my experience anyway)

Comment

Now that you're wrapped I'd take the grill temp up to 275-300 if you're not already there.

Comment

Your determination to make it happen is admirable. I would probably fall apart as I've never cooked a butt in less than 12 hours. Looking forward to hearing about your success! And some pictures.

Comment

Butts are very forgiving. You can wrap at about 160 - 165 at the stall, power through at a higher temp, then coast to about 200 - 203. If it doesn't pull as nice as you want then chopped is just as good. Flavor is flavor.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here