Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey and noodles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey and noodles

When I was a kid my grandma used to make turkey and noodles with the left over turkey from Thanksgiving dinner. It was a simple dish of noodles and turkey in a gravy like sauce. Anybody else eat this as a kid? Anybody have a recipe they'd like to share?

Sorry, but I don't have a recipe. However, I smoke chickens on occasion, and putting the carcass in boiling water makes some great smoky stock. I'm thinkin' that would make great turkey and noodles.

Comment

• Mickeylou5
      Mickeylou5 commented
      Editing a comment
      I freeze all my bones and scrapes until I have enough to make a huge pot of stock. Then I freeze the stock for future use

Sounds a bit like turkey tetrazini (sp?)

Comment

• jharner
      jharner commented
      Editing a comment
      That is what we do with left over turkey

Hmmm....as a kid and beyond.

1. I remember eating my paternal grandmother's bread pudding- she passed away when I was in the 3rd grade, 1985. I'm going to make some this week, mom texted me the recipe. For the recipe dad just said, "pinch of this, pinch of that, little of this, little of that." Can't imagine why I am so sarcastic.

2. Plenty of fried bologna, remember the slit so they don't bubble up. Bryan Beef Bologna the only bologna I can eat raw, but I like it cooked also.

3. College, and I still could eat this almost everyday, mac and cheese with sliced hot dog mixed in.

#3 may be mainly due to the fact I am as broke as I was in college.

4. Post divorce years after first marriage, my Thanksgiving meal was fish sticks dipped in a ketchup/mayo dip and cranberry juice. That was my tradition.

Comment

• ribeyeguy
      ribeyeguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow does that make me feel old! You were in kindergarten in 85, I was 8 years out of high school! Ah well, they say that you're only as old as you act so I'll forever be be no older than 12.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I still love a rainy night Huskee Don't listen to the music anymore, just the actual rain activity.

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      I've lived my life based on the belief that it's mandatory to grow old, but growing up is optional. Class of 76 rocked. 40 year reunion this summer!

For years my wife has made turkey (or chicken) and noodles (usually as soup) using a left-over carcass with whatever meat was left. Lately we've started using whole cornish hens instead of leftovers ... much richer flavor whether roasted or smoked.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr ROK View Post
      When I was a kid my grandma used to make turkey and noodles with the left over turkey from Thanksgiving dinner. It was a simple dish of noodles and turkey in a gravy like sauce. Anybody else eat this as a kid? Anybody have a recipe they'd like to share?

May I ask what you grandmothers ethnic background was? That might help to determine a closer replica of the recipe.

Comment

White, her family (my great grandparents) moved to this area from Kansas. This would have been about 100 years ago.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          White ? ? ? I think that narrows it down to about 15% of the earths population give or take. : )
          Last edited by Jon Solberg; April 17, 2016, 08:11 PM.

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, that'd be us. White with a mixed bag of Irish, Scottish, English, German, and Russian. Even rumors of some possible native American. Little bit of everything.

Same here. I've always thought that turkey & noodles with gravy sauce would be the ideal use for simmered wild turkey thigh & leg meat but have yet to replicate grandma & mom's upper midwest rendition (Scandinavian).

Comment

My mom made that! Yum. That and hot turkey sandwiches- turkey & gravy over one slice of buttered bread, eat with a fork.

Comment

Here's one that looks like it's close to what I'm talking about it. I'm going to try it tomorrow and will keep you all posted.

At home we had noodles quite a bit because mom could make them up, cook them fast and they were inexpensive for a family of four.

Comment

Ok, here are the results. I used the recipe above with a few modifications. I had cooked a turkey breast on my rec tec and had the carcass left over. In a medium sized bowl I sprinkled about 2 TBS of gelatin over about 4 cups of water to dissolve. In the meantime I stripped the meat off the carcass and put back in fridge till the next day when I made the noodles. I broke the carcass up into smaller chunks. Sautéed a couple carrots and celery stalks and an onion (all large chunks) in olive oil till soft. Added the carcass and sautéed it a bit too. Added the "gelatin water" and enough water to cover all, brought to a boil, and then lowered heat and simmered for 45 minutes to make a nice turkey broth. Strained this through a fine mesh strainer and then refrigerated until next day.

The next day I scrapped the layer of fat that had formed off the broth and heated it up over medium heat to boil off any liquids attached to the fat since it didn't separate cleanly when I scrapped it off. When it stopped bubbling for the most part, I made a roux by adding about 3 TBS of flour and cooked it for a few minutes to cook out any raw taste from the flour. Set this aside.

I then added two large coffee cups of the broth to a pot and put the rest in the freezer for a future cook. I brought the broth to a boil and added 16 oz of egg noodles. Reduced the heat to medium and added 2 diced carrot, 2 diced celery, and a diced onion. Covered and cooked for about 9 minutes. Noodles were tender so I stirred in the turkey meat I'd harvested from the carcass before making the broth. There wasn't as much gravy as I'd wanted so I added a couple cups of water and some chicken base. Brought to a simmer and then scrapped in most of the roux I'd made to thicken the mixture. Seasoned with S & P to taste and it was great. I loved this stuff as a kid and I still love it. I'll be making this every time I cook a chicken or turkey from now on.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                HorseDoctor commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the review. Now I gotta go shoot me a turkey...

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here