Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make your own wood chunks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make your own wood chunks?

Where I live, on the east coast of Canada, it's rather expensive to get wood chips or chunks. I've paid over $20 at times for small bags of chips at the local hardware stores, just madness. I'm already spending exorbitant amounts on the meat itself, I would like to save some money where I can! I will do a low-n-slow BBQ at least every weekend of the summer, and regular weeknight BBQ's for the family supper.

I also come from a long line of woodsmen. Grandpa's Grandpa who settled here from Ireland, all the way to my dad. I, of course, spent one summer in the woods before I figured I better learn how these computer things work if I ever want to get out of these woods! My dad just got himself a fancy new chainsaw, and while he's not much of a BBQ aficionado, he definitely knows his way around some woodcutting. He tells me that he's got access to an essentially unlimited supply of maple trees in the forest behind his house, so I suggested if he can find some way to chunk that up, I could use it on my BBQ (Weber kettle) and even pay him for it! He is quite certain the wood would have to be dried for at least a year before it could be used for something like BBQ.

So here I am, trying to find recipes on the internet for how to properly make your own BBQ wood chunks, but damned if I can find much out there! Any pointers for how you'd take your standard logs of maple wood, chunk them up, and presumably dry them for some period of time before use? Is there a method of storing them, either during drying or after, that makes more sense than just filling up buckets and leaving them in the shed? Should I be concerned, as mentioned in the "Zen of Wood" article, about the wood itself coming from our lovely east coast of Canada vs wherever companies like Weber are sourcing their hardwood?

Just don't forget that chainsaws sling a lot of (chain) oil ... I'd be very leery about cooking with anything chunked up by chainsaw.

Comment

Ahh, I hadn't considered that either, thanks! I wonder how it's done commercially? I tried to find one of those "how it's made" shows about wood chunks, but no such luck!

Comment

Commercially ... not a clue ... but if you are so equipped, I suppose a band saw or chop saw would work pretty well. Slice off those chainsaw oily ends and chunk up the rest. I suspect you'd want to remove the bark somehow, too.

Comment

You can run vegetable oil in the chain saw bar lube. You many need to adjust the flow rate and its a drag in the cold. I dont do it but some folks do. It scares me.

There are also bio degradable bar oils out there but not food grade that I'm aware of.
          Last edited by Jon Solberg; April 12, 2016, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Hey Jon
            I was just about to post an answer when I saw your post. I belong to a trail crew that works on the AT and MST here in North Carolina. We all started using canola oil in our saws quite a few years ago and it works perfectly. I've done sawing in weather way below freezing and haven't had any problem. It's cheap and definitely won't leave anything bad on your cooking wood. Just don't use it in your gas mix!!!

Comment

I've been smoking with logs from trees that I have cut down with a chainsaw for awhile now and no one has gotten sick or die yet

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                I tend to agree that there's not much oil on a log when you cut it. I can see the need for a bio bar lube out in the wild cause thats where all the oil is. Not on my log so much.

• Tim Clark
                Tim Clark commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I'm sure whatever you use will be minimal on the wood and burn off really fast no matter what. For that matter I'd rather cook with a little chain oil than use those match light briquettes.

I cut up firewood-sized pieces with a miter saw, and hack up smaller limbs with the chainsaw into hockey puck sized chunks. Forget waiting a year to use, just cook them in your smoker for a day, like a kiln. Works like a charm. You have as much as will fit on your racks ready to use tomorrow! I also don't worry about oil from the saw, so miniscule really.

Comment

I agree with Jon, bar oil is tacky and designed to follow the bar and not sling off. Also the chips would more than likely absorb it while it's cutting as the oil will sling with the momentum of the chain in the saws kerf. When people use motor oil instead of bar oil it will sling off. The Canola oil sure sounds like a good idea but I would not be concerned either way. I use regular bar oil for for cutting all my smoking wood.

Comment

If you want wood chunks, then go ahead and cut into lengths that you would normally cut for woodstove burning. Split the wood into cookstove size wedges (1-2 inch splits). Then use any saw you see fit to cut into chunks. I use an old fashion bow saw for this. Band saw would be great if you have one. If any worries about the oil on the cut ends, simply cut away a small portion from the end and use the rest of the chunks for the smoker.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here