Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking with corn cobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking with corn cobs

Hey guys I was just given a large bag of dried corn cobs. Does anyone have any experience smoking with these? I will be using a Komado Joe Big Joe. I was thinking that bacon would be nice with the cobs.

From what i know, it's old school to do bacon with dry corn cobs and it imparts a sweet smoke flavor. The hard part is controlling the temp as i'm told they burn hot. YMMV.

Comment

Interesting, let us know how it goes.

Comment

When I was a little kid, (a long, long time ago) I think my Dad smoked sausage with corn cobs. That's another thing I wish I could ask my Dad or my older Brother. Oh well - someday.

Comment

I just caught a session of Cook's Country using an adaptation of South Dakota corn cob smoked baby backs. Let us know how your corn cob smoking turns out.

Comment

Unfortunately I won't be able to smoke this weekend, but as soon as I am able I will give it a go and get back to you guys.

Comment

Cobs have a LOT of sugar in them. When I eat corn, after all the kernels are gone, much to my wife's dismay, I bit a chunk off the cob and suck on it. It is like sucking on sugar cane. Especially the soft spongy core.

Comment

• DeusDingo
                DeusDingo commented
                Editing a comment
                well if you're eating sweet corn i would imagine... regular corn is not nearly as sweet

From what I've read (in the last 20 minutes) they're supposed to impart a strong, sweet flavor with a subdued smoke flavor, seems like Hickory is a good match. There's also some talk that sweet corn has a stronger profile than common field corn.

I've never tried them but Lord knows I have an ample supply come this fall. Here in SE Wisconsin that's all you see in the summer, field after field of corn. No harvester is 100% efficient in stripping the cobs from the stalk so after the harvest there's always a huge amount of cobs left laying in the fields. I'll have to grab a truck bed full of them and give it a try come late September. If in the meantime you decide to try it please let us know your thoughts!

Comment

Anyone who is tempted to follow ribeyeguy's lead on this, be sure and get the landowner's permission. Failure to do so can get you prosecuted for trespassing, or, at least here in Texas, shot.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here