Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salt plank what do theydo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salt plank what do theydo?

I happened to watch a video about salt planks, and started wondering what do they do ? Has anybody used them ? Are they worth the money ? If they are, what do they cost ? Are there varieties ? Which one is best ?

Personally, I'm not convinced they're all they're cracked up to be. Sure they salt the surface in contact, but so does regular salt. Plus, if you break it, that kinda stinks.

Comment

I have one and they are a nice novelty. You can heat them on the grill or the stove and place them on the table (on trivets) and cook on them. They cook thin strips of meat beautifully and salt them perfectly. Veggies too. But not good for thick cuts or wet foods.

Comment

I received one for Christmas, but as of yet i haven't done anything with it except to pre-season it (slow buildup of heat in a slow oven to bring out any latent moisture). I see it as a social device, similar to a fondue pot. Get that sucker up to 500-600 degree's and let people around the table (outdoor) sear small veggies, slices of meat or seafood. A functional conversation pc. Once the weather warms up more, i'll comment more on the experience. It's big... 2" thick and about 8" x 12" and it sure is purty to look at. Similar to this picture, and it came with it's own metal rack.

Comment

I got one as a gift. It's fun and different but I probably won't buy one when mine is worn out. Nice novelty though. IMO cast iron is more fun and lasts forever.

Comment

Salmon filets (skinless) cooked on the grill. They are neat for presentation of sushi or cheeses, fruits with a drizzle of balsamic. I've never worried so much about wet stuff on the planks. It's plenty thick so what if some salt washes away. Just for grins, I ran one through the dishwasher without any negative effects.

When you're done with them, use for a foot detox or bath salts.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm Goggling foot detox. : )

Thank you all for your comments. I was pretty sure they were a novelty. I would gladly accept it as a gift, wouldnt buy one based on the feedbaxk i received.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here