Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow Cooker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow Cooker?

I've never been a fan of meat cooked in a counter top slow cooker until this weekend. My wife and I were going to smoke a chuck roast on Saturday and a pork butt on Sunday. Woke up Saturday morning to snow and 40 mph winds so she took the chuckie and threw it in the slow cooker. Almost the same story this morning, no snow but winds gusting up to 50 mph so she did the same with the pork butt.

I have to say that these two cooks came out amazing! No bark or smoke flavor but man they're good. Admittedly, when she wasn't around I opened the lid and jazzed things up with a ton of seasonings but regardless, I think they would have been delicious if I'd done nothing.

Is anyone else a fan of indoor slow cooked meat? Any recipes you'd care to share?

I'm just learning to use our Crock Pot this winter. It's not a bad winter appliance for our cold and windy climate ribeyeguy .
    Not all pit members will agree with me but sometimes the weather just doesn't make cooking outside very much fun. Still working on the basics so I can't give you much advice on slow cookers. Wait, I just thought of something, I've heard a Spotted Cow Beer goes well with any indoor cook! Give it a try.

Comment

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      fat squirrel is one of my favorite beers from new glarus

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      A seasonal? Then 'tis the season!! I will have to try sometime.

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      To cook with or to drink while you're cooking?

Absolutely, if done right they are great! This is why non-BBQ restaurants are so successful with their "BBQ" offerings, often that's what they do, (or the oven, same basic principle in that it's not prepared in a smoker) and then just add some sauce after. Properly cooked meat is good! I enjoy a nice juicy pot roast as much as any person, but I still prefer the smoked version! I have taken my wife's crock pot pulled pork and smoked it after the fact. Just put it in shallow pie pans and smoke it for an hour or two very low, adding a little spritz of water so it doesn't "cook" further and dry out, and it's nearly as good as a full-on smoke! Always an option if you have a better smoking day 'tomorrow' after an indoor cook.

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you tried spritzing it with apple juice instead of water, Huskee?

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      gcdmd Yes, I've tried a lot of those popular things

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, I figured you probably had but was hoping for some insight on how it worked out, apples and pork being a classic combination.

Super simple Croc-pot pulled pork:

3-5 lb pork shoulder, dry brined
    1 yellow or white onion, sliced
    2T Worcestershire sauce
    Ginger ale, not diet

Put half the onions in the bottom of the croc. Put the pork on top. Scatter the rest of the onions on top. Add the Worcestershire and enough ginger ale to come 1/3 to half way up the roast. Cook on low for 8-10 hrs. Remove the roast and pull. Use some of the ginger ale to moisten the meat. Discard the onions.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      &quot;Discard the onions???????????&quot; Horrors!! Eat 'em, man, eat 'em!!!!!!!!!! :<)

Crockpots are wonderful devices.

• LangInGibsonia
      LangInGibsonia commented
      Editing a comment
      @Willy

Haha!! Help yourself to those mushy, slimy over cooked onions. I'll pass, thanks. Lol!

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds good. I wonder how some sliced apples, either in addition to or instead of the onions would do, especially as a filling for some breakfast tacos.

Put Reynolds crock pot liners on your next shopping list to add in clean up.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Plus, if you have leftover you can just pull out the whole bag and place it in a container, twist tie the top and it will also help alleviate the grease problem in your Tupperware.

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Good tip!

Just made this last night. 1 package country style ribs, 1 can cream of potato soup (I was out of mushroom soup), 1 package of dry brown gravy mix, 1 package of dry ranch dressing mix, dash or two of soy sauce, 1 can of water. Browned the pork and threw everything in the crockpot on low for 8 hours. Family thought it was fantastic. I liked it too

Comment

Dr ROK makes a good point. It's usually worth the effort to sear the meat in a skillet before putting it in the Crockpot. I often caramelize the onions before adding them to the pot as well.

Comment

One of the things I did a week ago was instead of filling the cockpot with water. I added two sticks of butter and some water. Did not fill the crockpot with liquid. Also did the dry brine on chicken the way Dr. Blonder recommends. Added a sliced jalapeno and some red potatos. Turned out very good. The dry brine really does a great job of enhancing all the flavors in the pot.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here