Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No stall? Blew right past 150'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No stall? Blew right past 150'

I'm smoking a pastrami on a small size Big Green Egg. First time making pastrami and also first time using the Egg. I've been able to hold the temp at the grate to between 220-225'. I'm about 5+ hours in. I'd expected to see a stall somewhere around 150' but it never happened. Right now the internal temp of the meat is registering about 170 and climbing. The rate of temp increase seems to have been steady all along, with no sign of any slowdown. Can anybody help me understand what's going on? Should I be concerned about the lack of a stall? Thanks for any thoughts. All appreciated.

This does happen.. If your drawing a lot of air through the chamber, the increased air flow can off set the Stall. This can happen on really cold or windy days. However, this has never happened to me in my Kamado. It only happens in my PBC or my KBQ. Like Meathead says, " Pieces of meat are not widgets, every piece is different." (or something close to that) Not sure this helps, but its the only thing I can think of. Bathgate

Comment

Thanks, Spinaker. I've done briskets before on a Weber with a Smokenator and never seen this. Not much air flow as far as I can tell. I've been able to maintain a very steady low temp. Not sure if I should just watch it and pull it at 203' as in the recipe or if the lack of a stall is some indicator that something isn't working right. No matter what, I won't leave it on past 203' no matter how fast it gets there.

Comment

Some of my stalls don't hit until 178-185. My pastrami stall was in that range. I did sous vide it before the smoke.

Comment

Thanks, Jerod. Interesting. I just hit 185' with no signs of a slow down. Only 18' left to get to temp. I guess I'll just take it off at 203' and eat it, with no stall and hours earlier than expected. I'll report back on how it turns out.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            I would hold it after you pull it off the pit for an hour or two.

Would you wrap it in foil or cover it in any way for that time? Assuming it drops heat, would you steam it to bring it back up to temp?

Comment

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            Wrap in foil, then towels & stick it in a warm "cooler" for a couple hours. That will let it finish tenderizing. It'll still be plenty warm to serve. If you have good bark, it will still be there.

Thanks, Horse Doc. I'll try that.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            ALWAYS, ALWAYS wrap meat when you are done, if you haven't wrapped already.

Seems like it might be hitting the stall now at 185'. Temp hasn't budged in about 30 minutes while the smoker temp has remained the same.

Comment

Jerod -- I always let meat stand and set up when it comes off the grill, usually loosely tented in foil but only for 15-20 minutes. Are you saying to always wrap it beyond that and give it the couple of hours that Horse Doctor recommends?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I personally don't like any meat to "steam off" unless I am gong to chill and reheat.

So you wrap it immediately upon taking it off the heat and leave it for 1-2 hours?

Comment

Wrap & faux cambro for at least an hour following a low & slow cook (brisket, pulled pork, even ribs). Tent & rest for a few minutes, if you wish, following a quick cook &/or sear (like a steak or med. rare roast).

Comment

Got it, HD. Thanks again!

Comment

Even ribs eh?

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ribs may not "need" it but I always give myself some extra time cause I'm not good enough to know for certain sure exactly when they'll be done. The extra time in the faux cambro doesn't seem to hurt and dinner is almost always "on time".

• SteveFromLafayette
                    SteveFromLafayette commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I often find myself rushing up my ribs to please hungry family members. I need to try resting my ribs, I am convinced they would turn out better that way.

Alls well that ends well. The pastrami was delicious. I'd wanted to go full smoke with it but wound up pulling it from the smoker at 185' and steaming it from there to 203'. Put it under the broiler to firm up the bark and then wrapped it in foil, wrapped that in towels and put it in a cooler for an hour. Couldn't wait any longer, so sliced it and made sandwiches. What flavor. Yes, it does truly taste very much like Katz's. Mine was a bit dry and a bit tough. Next time I'll start with a better cut of meat. But the flavor was perfect, the sandwiches great and I learned a lot from this first take on pastrami. The next one will be even better.

Comment

If you have a tough cut of meat, you could try slicing it as thin as you can without tearing it up, and be sure you cut across the grain.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here