Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled Spam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Spam?

Spam. Does anyone eat it? In my younger days I'd buy a can of it, cut it into thin slices and then microwave it until it was black. It wound up tasting like overcooked bacon. Has anyone ever tried grilling it? Any recipes for slow smoked Spam?

Love pan fried spam with yellow mustard on good ole white bread sandwiches. Haven't had one in years. May have to pick up a can next time I'm shopping.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here

YES and YES! I will fess up and admit that I like SPAM... Probably partly a nostalgic thing for me as it was something my grandma would make for me.. we would slice it into 5 or 6 slices and just put it in skillet put it on a slice of bread with some ketchup and pickles... Anyway...

Yes I have put it on the grill and yes I have put it on the smoker.

For the grill I just slice it as usual and put it on till desired doneness. i like mine a little crisp on the outside but not burnt.

For the smoker I like to kind of use the Mike Mills method for Smoked Canadian Loin Back Sausage (Bologna). If you have read his book Peace Love and Barbecue the recipe is in there but basically he sprinkles it with a rub (magic dust) and then bastes it with barbecue sauce every 10 minutes or so towards the end of the cook.

Spam is precooked so get it to 150-160 or so and it should be pretty good.

You can have a lot more fun now since there are so many different kinds of Spam now!

Comment

Lol, the next frontier in grilling, slow smoked Spam. I haven't had it in years, might have to experiment with some this weekend!

Comment

Wow Nate, you're right, there's a ton of different flavors. I just did a Google search for Spam varieties and here's what it returned:

"Today, there are 13 different varieties of Spam — classic, less sodium, lite, hot & spicy, Black Pepper, jalapeño, spread, singles, singles lite, hickory smoke, bacon, cheese, and roasted turkey. The jalapeño and Black Pepper selections were introduced for Spam's 75th anniversary."

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm still a Spam Classic guy at heart.

Some BBBR and smoke it as a whole loaf. I bet that would be good.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't have neighbors. (Giant smile) ribeyeguy

• ribeyeguy
          ribeyeguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Count your blessings!

• BriggsBBQ
          BriggsBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I've smoked Spam and it is tasty.

Spam is the most popular protein in Hawaii I've heard...😎

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          That may be a bit of an exaggeration, but it is very popular, going back to WWII. Chef Sam Choi is famous partly for his Spam creations.

As a kid of the 70's, SPAM was quite common growing up at home. Something else for me to try on my new cast iron plate setter!

Comment

I seriously might try 2 loaves- one w/ BBBR and one with a brown sugar coating like I do my sausage rolls.

Comment

Lets see some pics of these Spam cooks! And pass along tasting notes. Which of the 13 varieties should we try?

Comment

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              The original

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Might have to make a "Spam" subforum, lol

As a kid I would eat it like bologna put some mayo and cheese and two slices of Spam between two slices of bread...enjoy. Oh! I still do today

Comment

I don't use spam a lot, but its good on the grill. The leftovers make great fried rice. The fried rice, in turn, makes a great breakfast when topped with eggs cooked your way. If you grill the hell out of it(don't burn it though), then dice, it makes a great addition to beans; soup, refried, or whatever. As Spam is salty, one has to take that fact into account.
              My late-father served in WW2, and loved Spam. We would have it often, in myriad ways.

Comment

Spam n eggs, spam n butter white bread, baked spam, spam n peanut butter white bread, spam tartar, spam on a stick, spam corndog, spam spam & more span, grew up on spam.

Comment

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Spam SOS

All you want to know about SPAM:

Comment

My Dad was a WW2 vet and loved Spam. Cut into strips and pan fried like breakfast sausage with eggs and toast. Delicious!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here