Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib Bone Sous Vide Advice Sought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib Bone Sous Vide Advice Sought

I have a rack of ribs from the prime rib we are having tomorrow and I'd like to try sous vide with them. Any suggestions on what temp and how long to sous vide before smoking? I have them dry brining now. I was also planning on using BBBR as the rub and applying after the sous vide and prior to the smoke. Any suggestions appreciated.

Dr ROK ...

I'm just learning sous vide too. So I'll just toss my thoughts out there for you.

Most meat that is cooked SV is cooked to the internal temp of the meat you prefer and then you give it a hot, hot sear to give it color. That's searing not smoking, a different cook than what you have planned for these ribs.

If it were me... I would determine what temperature I wanted the rib meat to be when it comes out of the smoker. Then I would SV it to 50% to 60% of that temperature. If I'm putting it in the smoker I need enough time to build bark before I get to the temp I'm after. You might want to run your smoker a little hotter than 225° too, to build bark faster.

Just my own opinion... I'm not highly experienced in SV/BBQ... Yet.😎
    Last edited by Breadhead; March 26, 2016, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I'm also struggling with wether to sous vide first and then smoke or smoke first and then sous vide. I know @pitboss did his pastrami smoke first, but that's the process for pastrami, smoke and then steam/sous vide.

Comment

(Doc) ROK ...

We're all SV wannabe's at this point.

This is conjecture on my part... Smoking first doesn't make sense to me. You're going to spend that smoking time to build flavor & bark. Then you're going to vacuum pack it and put it in the bath tub. The meat still has moisture in it, that will be drawn out while in the SV bath, washing away your flavor and bark.

If you SV first you can make it look pretty and build that smoke flavor that will stay on the surface in your smoker.

Again... Just conjecture on my part.

Comment

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          That's what I'm thinking too.

Have some short ribs and baby racks on the PBC right now that I sous vide' for about 48 hrs before to 144F. Going to let you know how it comes out post smoke.

Comment

Breadhead I used this to determine the temp and time to use. Thought you may be interested. I decided to start them at 176, run till I got back home (about 8 hours) and then drop them to 155 for the rest of the night. I will rub with BBBR and smoke tomorrow when I smoke the prime rib. Pics to follow.

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-v...#Barbecue_Ribs

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like a logical idea. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Good luck on your cook.👍

Depending on how thick the ribs are, they may come up to temp pretty quickly on smoker so make sure to monitor. Let us know how it comes out!

Comment

Here's a shot of them off the smoker. I used the Rec Tec mini with hickory and smoked for two hours. They were plenty tender when they came out of the sous vide, so I just wanted to leave them on long enough to get a kiss of smoke and firm the bark. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6543.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	151577

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Those look like short rib lollipops...😆👍

Dr ROK ...

Woohoo... It looks like a home run!

Good cook.

I really think Sous Vide first is probably the best method when finishing in a smoker.

Pastrami being different because of the many steps. Not having cooked pastrami before I'm giving David Parrish respect of his understanding of that process.

Comment

Dang...those look guuuuuuud

Comment

They turned out great! We ate them plain, but I think they'd be even better with just a touch of a slightly sweet, vinegary sauce on the side. Not coated, but just enough to provide some contrast to the BBBR.

I added the smoke by cooking them right along side the prime rib I fixed for lunch today. The ribs were our snack prior to having lunch. The prime rib turned out very delicious, but it was a bit overcooked for my taste. Alas, I agreed to cook to the prime rib according to those that don't know the best way to eat it. It did develop a nice smoke ring though!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6546.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	151717
              Last edited by Dr ROK; March 27, 2016, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                That looks marvelous... Good cook Dr ROK.👍

That is nice. Is that cow crust? I really want to reconstruct one of those one day and remove the gristle and what not within the blue line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	primerok.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	151721

Comment

Jerod Broussard Yes, that's cow crust. Fantastic rub for prime rib.

I saw the reconstruction process you mention on ChefSteps. Looks like it'd be a fun project. I do trim mine of the big chunk of fat that make the roast more oblong, so it is a bit cleaner. Planning on rendering that big chunk of fat to get some beef rub for future steaks. I'll also use the remaining trimmings for some gravy in the future. There is also a long thin chunk of meat that is surrounded by all that fat. Not sure what I'm going to do with that. Maybe just cook it up like a thin steak.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here