Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First pulled pork and I am already having issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First pulled pork and I am already having issues

So I feel I got my Weber/Slow N sear combo figured out pretty well.I got a few reverse sear burgs and steaks under my belt,thighs,drums,wings and country style ribs..Saturday is going to be pretty nice temp and wind wise,so I wanna try pulled pork.Problem is I work or have to sleep when all the REAL butchers are open.So my option is Walmart

I was just going to do a pair of Picnics(think thats right?) at around 4lb-ish each.Trouble is Wally Worlds version has up to 8% salt solution crap in it.How do I get around that? Skip dry brine and leave salt out of rub?.I am really wanting to do smaller sized at first due to cook time etc..

And advice is appreciated.And I may throw in a few more questions in this thread as we go along.

Good morning! I always use Boston Butts from Sam's which are not injected. My chart says the Picnic is the shoulder area below the butt. I've never bought a Picnic. I would not brine if it has the salt solution. Also, cook time will be affected by thickness, not weight.

Comment

I have done both picnics and butts. They are similar in taste and cook time. I like the butt better. You should be able to find a 8-10 pound one at Walmart. I would go for the butt.

Comment

You can make the saline solution work to your favor. Yes, cut out most of the salt in your rub, then just rub and cook. It will turn out just fine. I have done this many times, both at work and home without problems.

Comment

Pork (bone in) shoulder, often referred to as butts, or boston butts, pork blade, pork butt roast, fresh pork butt, and several more names are the most common used for pulled pork. These are the EASIEST meats you will ever smoke. Brining? Why bother. (don't get me wrong, I'm a huge PROponent of brining, wet, but especially dry) There is really just no need with shoulder. Rub it up with your fav rub for 8 hours minimum. 225Ëš, 250Ëš, 275Ëš, your choice. Depending on size will take 8 to 14 hours. You can finish wrapped in the oven at a higher temp (after 7-8 hours) if needed for dinner timing. But don't stop until 195Ëš internal minimum. 203Ëš optimum. Foil and towel wrap at completion for one hour minimum. You can't go wrong. It is childs play. One last tip. Buy cheap brown jersey gloves. Put them on. Now over those put on good quality latex gloves. Now pull your pork,, er the boston butt. haha You will instantaneously know the results of your cook. If your fingers effortlessly sink right through the meat to the bone, it is all down hill from here. Oh ya, you can put the smoke to it if you like a lot of bark. It is a personal preference thing.

Comment

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            Love the idea of the jersey gloves under latex/nitrile gloves!

No need to wrap ever. You will lose all of that awesome bark. Pork Burt is soooo easy there's no need to complicate it.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome to The Pit! When you get a minute, we'd love to get an intro from you in the Introduce Yourself channel.

Originally posted by lockoutmonkey View Post
          No need to wrap ever. You will lose all of that awesome bark. Pork Burt is soooo easy there's no need to complicate it.
          I disagree. You will not lose bark if you wrap when there is good bark, usually up toward the 180 IT range.

Comment

• smokinfatties
            smokinfatties commented
            Editing a comment
            im with Huskee, wrapping is ok after the bark has set nicely. i have wrapped some butts and they still came out with excellent bark!

What does the post-completion wrap in foil & towel do?

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            j2sgam One thing it does for me is it gives me a cushion window between done on the smoker and serving. Let's say I'm expecting a 12-14 hour cook, add 2 hours "faux cambro" = 14-16 hours. So I start my cook 16 hours before serving time. Done a little early or late, I'm ok.
            Last edited by fuzzydaddy; March 24, 2016, 05:35 PM.

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            I use hot water to heat up my cooler, warm towels in my clothes dryer, dump out the water, add meat, cover with hot towels. I could probably hold (faux cambro) for 6 hours if needed and still be in a safe temp zone.

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            It slows down the rate at which the butt cools. The longer it spends above 180 internal the more tender it will be.

That makes perfect sense... I didnt realize it would keep the IT for that extended duration. Only been a member here for 2 weeks, but yous have already taught me a few things. Membership is money well spent...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here