Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for menu suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for menu suggestions

I am looking for suggestions to complete my menu for a BBQ for some friends. Mostly the purpose is a get together to have a good time and enjoy some good food and wine, but I also want to kind of lead the discussion to different methods of cooking. I will be doing spare ribs on the PBC, and bacon wrapped chicken breasts on the GrillGrates on the gasser. I am going to do some appetizers and a dessert on the BGE, so the Crack ‘n’ Cheese and a vegetable dish will be done in the oven.

Between the appetizer and the dessert, I want to do some kind of beef roast on the BGE. I am leaning toward tri-tip. I don’t want to cook something that takes as long as brisket or is as expensive as prime rib. For some reason, even though I have been perusing AR and cookbooks, I can’t seem to make a decision. I figured I could get some ideas from The Pit.

This won’t be until next month, so I have time to plan. Thanks in advance.

Thumbs up on the tri-tip. If you have a sous vide setup, you could sous vide the tri-tip and reverse sear on the gasser. That would add to the discussions.

Comment

Baltimore Pit-Beef is a good cheap option that doesn't take very long as it is done to Med-Rare. Top round with BBBR is a tasty roast beef and makes very good sandwiches.

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        What Guest said. And don't forget the tiger sauce!

• Fine Swine
        Fine Swine commented
        Editing a comment
        Top bottom or eye round all work great for this! Good time to use a slicer if you got one???

Yno You have low and slow pork and grilled chicken breast. That takes of low and slow and grilling. I guess you are baking/roasting the appetizers and dessert. That seems to takes care of the methods of cooking you want to talk about. So, I guess you want to present beef and the method doesn't matter. Why not go for something fast - stuffed hamburgers?

Comment

If you want a roast, which is a quick cooking item (relatively speaking) you can't go wrong with a tri-tip. You can't go even wronger with a prime rib!

Comment

Sorry, no pics. But my friends were, to say the least, amazed and impressed. I put St Louis cut ribs on the PBC earlier in the morning, and fired up the BGE just before the guests arrived. I put a Bourbon Pecan Pie (from Eric C. Mitchell's "Smoke It Like A Pro") on a raised grid on and started the Fritacos Fantasticos (same book) when they got there. The appetizers were a BIG hit. Then the trip tips went on when the pie and appetizers were done, and the chicken was started on the gasser about a half hour before I expected the tri tips to come off. I rested the roasts while I finished the chicken, and then seared them on the gasser. Meanwhile, my wife had Crack 'n' Cheese in the oven, and to assuage anyone's desire for vegetables, we made Spinach Alexis from Chris Grove's "The Kamado Smoker and Grill Cookbook". Oh, and a few bottles of Veuve Cliquot Brut before the meal, and I opened a double magnum of 2007 Duckhorn Three Palms Merlot to accompany dinner.

Everything worked out extremely well, and I am quite happy with the effort. The ribs were done a trifle before I thought they would be, but I wrapped and faux cambroed them, and they were fine. Everyone got some leftovers, and I had enough tri tip left to make a batch of chili. It was a bit of work, and it certainly makes me greatly appreciate those who cook for groups on a regular basis. But today I am just doing a simple chicken for the two of us - much less work!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here