Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Crock pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Crock pots

Our crock pot broke this morning (fell, no repairs), so we need a new one....ASAP

Does anyone have a favorite, and if so, why?

TIA

PS: I looked to see if there was an appropriate forum for this question, but couldn't find one - Mods, sorry if I missed it, trying to put my posts in more correct forums.

I have gone through a bunch of slow cookers in my day. I can tell you about the Rival Crock-Pot (I think that is trademarked) that made chili cement on a camping trip, and how its replacement failed. Of all the brands I have owned, the only one I would ever buy again is the All-Clad slow cooker. Expensive, but I doubt I will ever have to replace it. Works perfectly and it has lasted years so far.

Comment

We have the basic 5-ish quart large Rival and it works fine for us--no complaints. I can't see any advantage to more expensive units. Off to Costco for the Rival---LOL.

Comment

We have the 6qt Rival programmable. Three teenagers in the house, so the programmable feature helps them get dinner started when they get home from school and when it's done it flips over to 'keep warm'. Ours is probably 5-ish years old, works great and gets used about once a week.

This is the newer model of what we have:

Jim

Comment

I have a Lodge 5? Quart that I use in my Komodo Kamados.

If you drop the cast iron, watch your toes; the Lodge won't break but your feet/toes certainly will!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Is that experience talking?

• CeramicChef
            CeramicChef commented
            Editing a comment
            Guest - yes it is! Life is a harsh teacher.

We have two Cuisinarts -- an 8 quart and a 4 quart -- and they are fine. We had an 8 quart Cuisinart non-digital before, and we had to replace it because the handle broke and we couldn't get a replacement part, so you were always guesstimating when you set it.

Comment

My favorite used to be the West Bend model that used a rectangular metal pot on a hot plate style warmer. I loved that the pot was non-stick, light weight and fit easily in the fridge. Then I moved to the All-Clad with the aluminum inset. Loved that until the non-stick coating failed after a few months, then (after replacement) the electronics failed twice, ruining two meals. I traded for the Cuisinart multi-cooker and it's been fine. Careful though, there are two models with the same name. One is a rice cooker, the other is what you want. I got mine from WS.

These days I might have opted for an Instant Pot that can do slow cooking, sautéing and pressure cooking.

Comment

• LangInGibsonia
              LangInGibsonia commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 for the InstaPot here. A very versatile tool. Not sure how old yours is Dr ROK but mine is <1 year old and has 2 temps for slow cooking. You have to use the adjust button and the high/low pressure lights are your indicator.

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              Mine is a knock off, so probably why it doesn't have both features. It's just over a year old.

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, this is a little embarrassing. mgaretz , I think I have the one you deceived somewhere. But it is too small, but I agree with you, a pretty good little item.

Just a quick note on crockpot temps compared to low and slow. You can use it as a guide when converting crockpot cooking to you grill or smoker. A crockpot on low is 200 and on high is 300.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Great info - thanks!

The one that broke was a Rival, and it was a workhorse. So old, the model # isn't even in the series of the current offerings.

Thank you all for the help!

Comment

I'm starting to hate crock pots. Not because they're not useful, but because someone in my family (who shall remain nameless, and who bless her heart prepares meals for me to take to work) thinks HIGH is the proper setting for a pork loin when she's gone for several hours. The positive note is that the crock pot does save me from eating too much pizza, and also I know exactly what a pork-flavored slightly soft pine board tastes like.

Comment

We had to buy one recently and they have gone digital and hi-tech! My wife got tired of me studying the options and bought an old fashioned model.

Comment

I bought a programmable Rival Crock Pot several years ago and I love the way it cooks. Its only problem is that the plastic hardware (handles and lid hinge) are of extremely poor quality and are now mostly broken.

Beware that some models, such as those from Hamilton Beach, won't stay in a warming mode forever. After 12 or maybe 14 hours they switch off completely. If you're late getting home from work or trying to cook something overnight that could be a real problem. That "feature" was a dealbreaker for me when I was shopping for a slow cooker.

Also know that the programmable models will forget everything you've told them if there is a power interruption. One time I was trying to cook chili on a stormy night and had to reset the cooker several times. Had I not been home it would have just sat there waiting for me to come home to cold, ruined food. The old fashioned ones with a knob start cooking again as soon as the power comes back.

Comment

Originally posted by MattTheGR8 View Post
                    The old fashioned ones with a knob start cooking again as soon as the power comes back.
                    There's something to be said for dumb ol' knobs. My car has the old fashioned twist knobs for the heat/AC/vents. Simple and it works. My wife's van has digital everything. I hate it. I feel like I'm mixing a hip-hop album to set my side cooler than hers, what with all the sliders and screens and numbers and pictures.

Comment

• MattTheGR8
                      MattTheGR8 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I completely agree Huskee, and I'll hate giving up my climate control knobs when the day comes to buy a new car. In fact, I may keep driving my current rides just to avoid the switch to one of these hideous new computer controlled systems.

Hamilton beach, stay or go , has a lid with latches so you can take it with you and not worry about spillage, also has a warm button ,serving spoon with drip tray and an attachable lid holder, I love mine I highly recommend it!

Comment

• MattTheGR8
                      MattTheGR8 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My parents have one of those, and I love the latching lid with a gasket. I was about to buy one myself when I realized they turn off after 14 hours. When in the warming mode there's no excuse for the machine not to keep running almost indefinitely.

• Willy
                      Willy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Our Rival also has a latching lid.

I agree , I wasn't aware of that I've never used warm for that much time ,sorry its not the one for you but thanks for the heads up , now I know

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here