Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions welcome

Hey guys and gals. I'm planning on doing a whole chicken on my Rec Tec tomorrow. Im gonna inject and rub. What temp and times have ya'll done and how'd it turn out? Pics are welcome.

Don't have a ret tec, but I'd recommend 325-350 to get that good crisp skin. Time will depend on if you spatchcock.

Comment

Thanks Rich. I'm going to leave it whole and had planned on 375. This is my first time to post anything and I'm interested to see everyone's, or anyone's, comments.

Comment

I second Rich's advice. My fav temp for a spatchcocked chicken is 340ish. Sugary rubs (like rib rubs) tend to blacken at 350 & higher for any amount of time, so if you're using more herbs and/or spices and no sugar, go 350. Otherwise, 325 is good, but I think 340 is best. Others have had success cooking chickens even higher, but until you get more experience it may be best to stick with the 350 & under range.

Here's my average 330-340 chicken, cooked on a Weber kettle with the Slow 'N Sear for a cook time of about 75min give or take:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG7594.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	149384

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          When you got 8 Mavericks you can dual probe a whole stinkin' flock of chickens!!!

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          Is that air brushed?

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol Powersmoke_80 it looks like a spray on tan doesn't it? Nope, real. And I forget the wood but it's likely either apple or ash

Man that looks good!!!!

Comment

Mike99 Yo you should take notes from Huskee he is known as the "Chicken King"

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys

Comment

Mike, I have cooked whole and spatchcocked on my Camp Chef pellet grill. I prefer spatchcocked. I inject with a Cajun creole butter marinade and have used several different rubs. I cook at 325 and a single chicken will take about 1 1/2 hours

Comment

I have cooked whole chickens on a pellet smoker.... I stuffed the cavity with onion, garlic, apple, and lemon. I plugged both holes with lemon wedges... I oiled, salt, and peppered the outside and ran them around 300 degrees... Turned out great...

I am a HUGE fan of Chris Lilly's loaf pan chicken concept and my family loves it! It is pretty hard to mess that one up.

I usually run my cooker around the 250-275 mark where my pork is running and put my chicken in the hotter part of the smoker that is running 275-325. In both cases it took at least 3 hours to 3.5 hours minimum. Obviously it is done when the thermometer says it is done.

Good luck...

Comment

I've rubbed and injected. The plan is to keep it whole and put it in the Rec Tec, on an empty beer can chicken "holder", at 340 till its reached 165. I'll post some pics after its done. Thanks again.

Comment

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Take lots of pics! We love pics.

Huskee nailed it perfectly (GREAT pics, by the way!). When I was coming up as a cook/chef, my mentor(s) instructed me to use a moderate oven.Instead of specific temps, we were instructed in using slow, moderate, hot and very hot. Many in Europe still use this method. What it teaches, is to look for reactions when things are being cooked. BBQ grills, smokers kommados, etc., are no different from a technique perspective than ovens because they are ovens too. Having bloviated all that, 350 is my target temp for most things chicken on my rig. I don't stress if the temp goes down or up much. It still is a moderate oven(temp wise) and things will be fine.
                  Mike, keep doing what you described above, and you'll be just fine. Whether you use a whole bird, spatchcock, etc., it's still "just" chicken.

Comment

Cooked at 325 for close to 2 hours. When the IT got to 145 I bumped it to 425 to crisp up the skin while getting to 165. Tastes great! I'll change a few ingredients or possibly smoke it at 225 the entire way next time. Sorry I started cutting before I realized I forgot to take pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Yo View Post
                      Sorry I started cutting before I realized I forgot to take pics.
                      That happens to me a lot!

Nice job.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here