Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking Heritage Breed Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking Heritage Breed Chicken

We raise a heritage breed chicken called Buff Orpington. They are not the fast growing chicken that is sold at most grocery stores. They do not have as much breast meat (they don't fly, why would they?) The flavor is incredible and due to the time it takes to raise them, they develop nice connective tissue for making great stock. The only negative is that cooking it like the chicken we are all used to... it turns out tough in texture. Does anyone out there have any tips? Thank you in advance!

Reverse sear! Tough meat is usually because of connective tissue and the way to combat that is low and slow cooking. That prevents the connective tissue from contracting and making the meat tough. You can crisp the skin at the end of the cook. I describe this technique in my article on Cornell Chicken. You might also try sous vide.

Comment

• Eastonbeef
      Eastonbeef commented
      Editing a comment
      You know Meathead... I have been using your reverse sear method on my burgers... why the heck didn't I think of it for my chickens??? Thank You

Kenji talks about cooking heritage chickens in his new book. I'll try to post a summary when I get home tomorrow.

Comment

Eastonbeef I have only made soup from my dual purpose chickens Barred Plymouth Rock, but may try it this way.
      Check out this from Mother earth News http://www.motherearthnews.com/homes...-chickens.aspx

Comment

• Eastonbeef
        Eastonbeef commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you very much for the link! That was very helpful, I guess we might be raising more than one breed...

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Eastonbeef Your welcome, I have Rhode Island reds, Barred Plymouth Rocks, and Black Australorp as well as 40 eggs from those in the incubator now. Its almost as addictive as BBQ Lol. How do you like your Buffs?

• Eastonbeef
        Eastonbeef commented
        Editing a comment
        We love our buff orpingtons,They are super hardy and very friendly. The roosters that we have had are very good at protecting the flock. I would agree on the addiction.

According to Kenji, you can get great result roasting heritage chickens, but you have to be extra careful to monitor the temp you take them to. He recommends taking chicken breasts to 145 F, and dark meat to 160-170 F, and then letting them rest. You can do this by spatchcocking, separating into white and dark meat and remove when appropriate, or use a baking stone/steel.

Comment

Thank You everyone that responded. I love the fact that us pit club members eat better than those that "Go out to eat"... It is fun to go out just to remind yourself that you can do better. Thanks again!!!!!!

Comment

My first thought was "low & slow", then I read Meathead's reply. Lol, I'm glad we all think alike.

Comment

• Eastonbeef
            Eastonbeef commented
            Editing a comment
            Cooking them "low & slow" is really tasty also. The meat has more flavor to begin with, but when you break down the connective tissue... yum. I cant wait to reverse sear them. Something new...

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
          My first thought was "low & slow", then I read Meathead's reply. Lol, I'm glad we all think alike.
          It is almost cult-like. Pass me the Kool-Aid!!!

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Are you wearing black sneakers?

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            Do slip on wingtips count?

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here