Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken at 600 degrees?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken at 600 degrees?!

While doing some homework on pizza related stuff, I ran across this:

I was shocked to see this:

"After the pizzas were fired off, I noticed that the grill was still holding at a steady 600°F—a great temperature for roasting a spatchcocked chicken.

600?!

Has anyone tried cooking a chicken at that high a temp? how'd it turn out? I would think the skin would certainly get crispy at that temp, but I'm not convinced the rest would turn out well.

Not yet. I know chefsteps does one and finished it at 550. That is high as my ovens will get.

Comment

Definitely don't want a rub with any sugar in it with that high of temp.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be some blackened chicken for sure.

So I decided to try this tonight. It was a learning experience getting the BGE up to 600 for the fist time. I used meatheads Simon and garfunkle, assuming there was little enough sugar that it wouldn't be a problem. I started at about 610, most of the cook was around 580, falling off to around 550 toward the end. It turned out delicious! Crispy skin, and really really tender and moist!
      Attached Files

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm gonna do it! I've had a hard time getting my skins crispy in my Primo w low temps. This looks amazing. This was indirect, right? How many minutes?

• RichBrew
        RichBrew commented
        Editing a comment
        yes, Indirect, BGE with plate setter in, legs up. Roughly 45 minutes, but I went by temp. Pulled it at 160, and it crept up to 168 over the next 5-10 min while testing on the cutting board.

man oh man......

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here