Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket question ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket question ?

My question comes after seeing CandySueQ's post about a 20 lb brisket. I have never separated the flat and point before cooking. Who has or does? I liked Mosca's point that you can get more seasoning on the meat but what effect does it have on your cooking times? I am sure there are many pros and cons and I would like to hear them all.

I prefer if I have room. If not, no big deal. I clean a lot of that fat mass b/n the two muscles but leave them plenty connected further down so I can still hang as one in the PBC.

Comment

• jharner
      jharner commented
      Editing a comment
      Using a pellet grill, separating and putting on the grates would not be a problem. Just wanting to know the difference in the end product.

If you have the time to separate, it's fun and you get more bark! It really taxes your knife skills to leave a 1/4 of fat on both sides, the point and flat, when you are cutting them apart.

I've been working at cutting a few inches in so that the bulk of that excess fat is out, and there is only a few slices that have more fat than I would enjoy having on my plate. PracticePracticePractice!

Comment

• jharner
      jharner commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with the PracticePracticePractice! Just trimmed and salted two packers that I am doing for my sister Saturday and was kinda proud of the way they looked when I was done. The difference between the point and flat were obvious.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. I plan to start trimming all the "pretty white stuff" on the sides down b/c that is some "ain't gonna render ever" stuff if there ever was!!!

As usual, Jerod ( Jerod Broussard ) says sooth ... check out this PBC video that describes how to prep a brisket:

We have created the versatile Pit Barrel Cooker as the original vertical drum smoker and charcoal grill. Get your barrel smoker and charcoal grill today.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here