Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11 hours in ... Brisket is looking good :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9712.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	451.0 KB
ID:	241771

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      My dogs are circling the WSM ... pretty sure that is a compliment :-)

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      🍖👌

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker I've got a big write up on how the cook went, what the challenges were, etc that I am about to post ....It's interesting. This wasn't, actually, an easy cook. Lots of rain and wind, weird temp spikes, etc. The challenge was a lot of fun.

Name:	IMG_20161120_142711_381.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	241876

Canadian Bacon hot off the smoker. Meathead's recipe with a modified, Meathead's Memphis dust. Super tasty!!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks delicious.

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      The Canadian bacon is so good.

Name:	IMG_1475.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	241959 Just a few slices from today's brisket. Just a nice little smoke ring on this one. The cook went pretty well. I used butcher paper for the wrap. I didn't really notice anything different from when I wrap with foil. (Except all the Au jus gets sucked up by the paper)

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      "Cs get degrees"...lol I like it. Sad but true. I remember in my classes at finals the ones who were nervous said things like "All I need is a C". Yeah but no one wants a C student working on them I wanted to say, but I was nice.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the look of that brisket slice. Get in my belly!

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker Huskee you guys are over achievers, I know from first hand experience that D's also definitely get degrees!

Gorgeous brisket, Spinaker !!!

Makin' me hungry here, even though my belly's full!!!

Nice work, Amigo !!!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks man! Not my best looking brisket but hey I post my good ones and my not so good ones alike! Goes to show you we are all still working towards what we presume to be perfection.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm worried less about the smoke ring and more about the pull test :-)

Here's the brisket from tonight as I sliced ... I did a big write up in the bullet smoker sub-forum.

Name:	IMG_9716.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	366.1 KB
ID:	241997

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice!!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks buddy!

Sweet and sour cabbage borscht. This is a borscht that does not use any beets. It's basically tomato, beef, carrots, onion and cabbage. I made a big batch of this last month when chuck was on sale, split it up into meal-sized portions, vacuum packed and froze. Served with salad.

Name:	borscht.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	242169

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks mighty tasty, and good for the weather this week!

• Gator Lau
      Gator Lau commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks delicious! Do you have a recipe to share?

Got the recipe from your blog. Thanks, I'll try it.
      Last edited by Gator Lau; November 21, 2016, 09:51 PM. Reason: Something is messed up and I can't post regular posts, and can only comment once, so this is how I have to snswr

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      It's on my blog: http://markiscooking.com/?p=5

The recipe calls for stewed tomatoes, but diced works too.

Made chicken drumsticks on the GMG DB last night...
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks good enough to eat!

Comment

I have found a new supplier of top quality meats. It is a local farmer, I visited him last weekend. He has mostly cows, but his swine 'collection' is growing. He let's them breed naturally (no stress), and the cows reach an age of 30-36 months before they visit the butcher's. They have plenty of space. All in all it was a great visit, he knows what it takes to get good quality meat.
        Naturally I left with a few hanger steaks, picanha (rump steak) and boneless inside round.

He claims he can deliver proper briskets (point+flat), weighing in at roughly 15 lbs. This is hard to find in Sweden, I order mine from Creekstone farms, but I'm real keen on trying his briskets.

Anyhow, I cooked the hanger steak indirect then reverse sear, took it at 140° F, then let it rest. In the meantime I whipped up a bernaise sauce.

The only spice I added to the meat was salt when dry brining. I just ate it as it was, with the sauce. Nothing else needed. My god, that meat flavor was amazing. Such deep flavor, proper beef, at its best. I will definitely visit this farmer again, soon.

The raw material: 3 hanger steaks

Name:	IMG_7998.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	242892

The finished product

Name:	IMG_8012.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	242891

Next time I will cook this on the kettle with the SnS. The BGE isn't the best tool when it comes to searing.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks amazing. Look at that texture!! Unbelievable. I would love to see some pictures of his farm the next time you go. Thanks for sharing!

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a terrific photo!

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I think I'll grab some photos next time. He slaughters 40-60 cows per year, so it isn't big business, but great quality. You know that when you visit the pigs and all you hear is their chewing. It means they're relaxed and don't get into a fight due to confined spaces.

PBC chicken (7lbs). Took 1:35 at avg temp of 340. I used my rib rub. Spatchcocked but left intact otherwise, hung w/ 2 hooks. No wood just KBB. Waiting on tater tots to get done in oven so no taste rating just yet, but soon!

Name:	IMAG0880.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	243037

Name:	IMAG0882.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	243038

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          WOW! PBC bird looks beautiful!

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed! tater tots are underrated I think EdF. Thanks gents! DWCowles Henrik

Huskee - Lookin' good. Slow fried french fries would go good with that too. And they are easy and not as messy as regular french fries.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for sharing Ron, looks interesting. I'll suggest this to my wife, but I might have to be the one standing at the stove for an hour! Another twist we like to do is bake or par-bake potatoes in the micro, then slice them into 1/4"-1/2" slices and fry. They fry much faster and taste just like french fries.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee - Try cutting the cooked potatoes into wedges - 8 per 'tater. Then dip in buttermilk and dredge in seasoned flour. Next fry them 'till nice and crisp. Seasonings can be anything you want - from salt and pepper to something fancy. I suggest fried chicken seasoning.

Searing a couple of flank steaks on my 26" Kettle and SnS is underway.

Name:	IMG_0549.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	243252

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          No wondering which way the grain runs on that bad boy.

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Sam's Club flank steaks always show their grain!

Last night we had burgers. I had mine sans bun. Cooked at 133F SV with my new Joule, then dusted with MBP and torch-seared. Served with Tater Tots made in the air fryer, peas with butter and salad.

Name:	burger.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	243369

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I really enjoy a good hamburger steak.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Tater tots last night here too. Which sous vide do you prefer? If I were to buy one, would you say Anova or Joule?

I also made bacon for the first time. 8 day cure in MH's maple cure, then smoked to 165F.

Name:	bacon.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	243373

Comment

• bluesmoke
          bluesmoke commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks awesome. How did it taste? I followed MH's new recipe for maple and it was rather flavorless. I'd done several slabs under the old recipe and the results were superior Seems others have had a similar outcome with the new recipe so I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. Thanks.

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          bluesmoke I like it, but I don't have the old recipe to compare it to. Can you post it?

• bluesmoke
          bluesmoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Sadly, I didn't retain the old recipes. Seems from other posts that others have had similar issues with the new recipe. More to come....

Originally posted by huskee View Post
        Tater tots last night here too. Which sous vide do you prefer? If I were to buy one, would you say Anova or Joule?
        I don't have an Anova, but I have never been tempted to buy one as I have the Sous Vide Supreme. I really like the fact that the SVS is fully self contained, completely silent and comes with a rack to hold the food down when it floats. But it is expensive given today's low cost circulators. There are times when I wanted to do something small and didn't want to get the SVS out, and other times that I wanted to SV at two different temps. When Joule was first announced it certainly didn't seem worth the $299 price tag. But at $149, and driven by MH's recommendation, I took the plunge and ordered one. I like how compact it is and I like the connectivity. Some people are put off by the fact that without a smartphone, you can't cook. That doesn't bother me.

So I voted Joule.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, and apologies I thought you ran an Anova. Appreciate the insight.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here