Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Pastrami Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Pastrami Question

I'm going to sous vide a store bought corned beef for some pastrami. I desalinated it, applied MH Katz pastrami rub and have them waiting in the fridge on a rack. After doing this, I read Jerod Broussard post on his sous vide pastrami and he rubbed it after the sous vide bath. Anybody know if I can still do this with the rub already on it or should I opt for straight smoking instead of sous vide?

Hmmmmm, smoke to your liking, sous vide, firm up bark over heat or under broiler.

Comment

Jerod Broussard I took your advice. Have it aging in the fridge now. Smoked it on the Rec Tec at 200 with cherry wood. Took it up to 150. Pics of the cut meat when I sous vide and make sammies!

Here's what it looks like now.
      Right out of the fridge
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	146735

On the Rec Tec.

Name:	image_17710.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	146734

Final product after about 3 hours at 220. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	146733
      Last edited by Dr ROK; March 9, 2016, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Man those are some shiny temp probes.

Comment

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Soap and water & stainless steel "brillo pad" and alcohol wipes every time. One is the newer style maverick "waterproof" model, but I still treat it as if it isn't. If you look close enough you can see the red high heat gasket sealer.

And the results are in.

Name:	IMG_0013.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	148308

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	148309

Comment

Very nice, Dr ROK ! The pastramis look great!

Comment

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            It was excellent!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here