Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A thread for biscuits and gravy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DeusDingo Thanks for the plug. We love B&G at our house and as Jerod Broussard said it isn't just for breakfast.

Comment

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      not a problem. your post sticks in my memory every time i think about biscuits and gravy because i was planning on making it and using your post as instruction

Thedcorvette try my buttermilk Biscuit recipe I think you will like it. Remember that biscuits like all other cooking is an art form (the correct amount of moisture, oven temp, where in the oven you place the biscuits). I like to use unbleached bread flour if I don't grind my wheat. If i grind I use hard white or sometimes soft white wheat. And last I use one of my pellet grills for an oven and I really like them this way but, the wife doesn't.

Comment

• Thedcorvette
      Thedcorvette commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do, I think I will get the stuff together this weekend. still have plenty of gravy, I'm not sure how the biscuits would come out on my WSM, but might be worth a try!

I make B & G every Saturday morning. Simple recipe, similar to the OP. I start with 4 TBSP of unsalted butter, add 6 TBSP of AP flour 1 TBSP at a time, whisking until lumps dissipate and roux forms. I then add 4 cups of milk, 1 at a time, whisking to incorporate fully. I add 2.5 tsp of pepper and 1.5 tsp salt. I cook the Jimmy Dean hot sausage on a separate skillet and add when the gravy starts to thicken a bit

Comment

• LangInGibsonia
      LangInGibsonia commented
      Editing a comment
      Why use two separate pans? Cook your sausage first and use the rendered fat as the base for your roux. Sprinkle the flour right on top of the cooked sausage. Less dishes to do, which is always a good thing.

• FLBuckeye
      FLBuckeye commented
      Editing a comment
      LangInGibsonia I will try that on Saturday

Thanks everyone for the inputs! Lots of great things to try this weekend now, wonder if the wife will get mad at me for cooking too much 😜😂

Comment

Originally posted by MattBilling View Post
      Could someone explain to me, what in the hell you're all talking about? Biscuits are things you dip in a cup of tea and gravy is for a roast dinner?!?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm English!
      Lol. On the subject of English tea vs American coffee...someone once said (maybe it was in a TV show or movie?) that tea tasted like grass clippings in hot water. I'd have to agree. But it's all what we're used to in our environments and cultures.

Matt I bet if you tried really good homemade American biscuits & [sausage] gravy you'd be in love. I don't know anyone who doesn't like it (Except my wife, she has celiac disease and can't eat any gluten). Although a lot of snobs will shrug it off as unhealthy, as they do lots of things. It's the breakfast version of mashed potatoes & gravy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bis.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	145389
      Last edited by Huskee; March 2, 2016, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        vandy unfortunately no, but it does look amazing and had me craving them. It's a stock pic to illustrate to Matt what it is, before I seen that someone above already posted one

• MattBilling
        MattBilling commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm in!

I've got the recipe from Marauderer , I can't do anything this weekend, but next weekend is all about brisket and biscuits & gravy!

I'll post the results.

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        dang those biscuits looks this like ones my mother used to make...bringing back memories Huskee

Alright, so I put my gravy with Marauderer 's biscuits, didn't have a cutter, but they were much better than the store bought stuff, and indeed didn't take me all that long! Didn't get to try the smoked sausage this time, but my wife kindly pointed out to me that I'd mistaken her pancake mix for the flour last time I cooked, the gravy came out better too 😂😂 Edit, and FYI the foil was just so I could lift the biscuits off the cookie sheet, less cleanup and keeps the bottoms from burning
      Last edited by Thedcorvette; March 6, 2016, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        I have a few rolls of sausage in the freezer at all times that I get on sale, when I'm done cooking but the coals still have a couple hours left I take one out, put on some maple syrup and a little rub and let it sit for a few hours until it hits 145. It's a little better if you can catch it around 110 or so and wrap it in foil because it can dry out, but good either way. I slice it once cooled and if I can help from eating it all I put it back in the freezer. Great for breakfast and awesome in gravy.

This reminds me to work on my biscuit recipe.
        Trying this out today. Using the Rec Tec to smoke 4 lbs of my homemade cajun breakfast sausage.

Comment

You're making me hungry Dr ROK

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here