Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse Sear w/ BGE and Gas Searing Burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Sear w/ BGE and Gas Searing Burner

Just cooked up these three ~1" thick Strips. About a half hour indirect on the Big Green Egg til internal temp was 115 and then over to a piping hot searing burner on the gas grill for 1 minute per side and another one minute per side to finish them. Family was raving about the doneness and also the extra smokey taste. Only thing I think I would do different is flip them twice as frequently on the sear to get a more even crust.

A second grill works for the BGE reverse sear.

Comment

• HermanGerman
      HermanGerman commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen. I've got a buddy that does nothing but complain about the BGE. But to his credit, it's cuz he's a believer in the reverse sear and he doesn't have the second grill. Drives him crazy.

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      HermanGerman there are work arounds with just the BGE. My Weber jumbo Joe makes it easier.

Niccccccce!

Comment

Looks very good. What kind of side burner did you use?

Comment

• HermanGerman
        HermanGerman commented
        Editing a comment
        It's my Lynx. Honestly, the searing burner is the only thing I'm happy with about it. It rocks. The rest of it is basically a Weber grill with an extra zero on the price tag.

Sorry. Did a little venting there.

Good cook... "There's no rules in BBQ or the bedroom" MH.👌

Comment

Lookin' good HermanGerman!

Comment

HermanGerman, Don't Ever Let Them Tell You That You Can't Grill! Beautiful!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

HermanGerman ....

"Amen. I've got a buddy that does nothing but complain about the BGE. But to his credit, it's cuz he's a believer in the reverse sear and he doesn't have the second grill. Drives him crazy."

Humbly I'd like suggest that your Buddy just doesn't understand how to do the reverse sear process on a ceramic cooker.😏

The reverse sear on a ceramic cooker IS NOT a left & right - direct/indirect process.

The reverse sear on a ceramic cooker is up & down and HEAT CONTROL at each step of the process. You DO NOT need 2 grills to get an absolutely PERFECT Steakhouse quality steak.

You DON'T need your plate setter. You don't need any fancy equipment but the BBQ Dragon does make it faster and easier.

I use 1 grate, not the standard 18" grate. (see pictures below)

I fill my fire box so the lump is 2" below the top. I light my large BGE and stabilize the cooking temp at 225°. I mount the grate so my steaks bake above the felt line. I put a meat probe in the steak and close the dome.

When the thermometer tells me the steaks are at 115° I lift the dome, remove the steaks, open the bottom vent wide open and blast the lump with the BBQ Dragon. At that step there is no browning/caramelizing of the steaks, they will look like they've been in your kitchen oven baking at 225°, even though you didn't use your plate setter.

Invert your Grill Dome direct/indirect grate so it places your steaks 2" from the red hot Warp 10 lump and sear it.👍

Put a glove on and use your thermapen to determine when to pull them.

I had the same EXACT problem your Buddy is experiencing now... 5 years ago. I finally figured it out 3 years ago and have been using this simple fail proof method every since.😎

This picture was done reverse seared on my large BGE using that equipment and method.
            Attached Files

Comment

Breadhead, that's genius. Never seen that before. In fact, didn't know that grate existed. Where'd you get that thing?

Also, I'm assuming you need to use the BBQ Dragon or a heat gun or the timing to warp up the coals would be too tedious.

BTW, very nice looking steak!

Comment

And, many of us kamado owners have figured out ways to reverse sear. Myself, I did my steaks over 225*, then pulled them and opened both vents until the BGE go to 600*, and put them back on. Easy.

Comment

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mmmm... Nice steaks Mosca

You've figured it out too. Reverse searing a steak on a ceramic cooker is pretty simple once you think up & down instead of left & right.👍

HermanGerman ...

I stumbled upon that grate on Amazon years ago while looking for something else. The moment I saw it I knew this would make cooking steaks on my BGE easy peasy.

If you're cooking lots of steaks I mount my 18" grate on top of this grate to give me more space for the baking part of the cook. Then I sear them 2 or 3 at a time.

The BBQ Dragon just speeds up the process of getting your lump to searing temp.

You can buy the grate on Amazon through the AR URL so AR gets credit for it. David Parrish might want to redo this link...
                http://www.amazon.com/Grill-Dome-GE-...indirect+grate

I also use that grate when I bake pizza & bread to mount my pizza stone up above the felt line. I also use it for more cooking space. Some times when cooking a brisket ill separate the point from the flat and cook the flat down on the regular grate and put the point up on this grate.

It is the most useful accessory I've ever bought for my BGE... Other than my DigiQ Dx2.👍
                Last edited by Breadhead; February 24, 2016, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Breadhead, OK, that was a whirlwind of info. And the fact that you listed the DigiQ as your most useful accessory gives you extra credibility in my mind!

I use a heat gun, not a BBQ Dragon, so call that one a draw.

But I'm missing your point on the pizza. You saying you use it down close to the coals or up high? Don't quite get that one... Thanks!

Comment

HermanGerman ...

"I also use that grate when I bake pizza & bread to mount my pizza stone up above the felt line."

I find that when baking pizza or sourdough bread raising those items above the felt line works best. Both require 500° to 700°. Higher up in the dome is hotter than grate level at the fire ring position. Plus you get more airflow/circulation up higher in the dome.

Comment

• CeramicChef
                      CeramicChef commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Breadhead - correct you are. I always cook pizzas, breads, etc. as high in the dome as possible on a heat soaked stone in a heat soak kamado. Nice series of posts!

CeramicChef ...

Thank you for the nice comment. You and I have been through that learning curve. It's a Pit members DUTY to help fellow members through those challenges as much as possible.

For really high temperature cooks I preheat my pizza stone and the ceramic shell for at least 1 hour. I cook pizza's at 750° in about 4 minutes and they come out fantastic.

Comment

• CeramicChef
                      CeramicChef commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Amen! Success comes from experience. Experience comes from failure. Anything that shortens the learning curve is a very good thing! Have a great weekend.

Baking Lemon Pound Cake up high in the dome with the Grill Dome direct/indirect grate mounted on top of the regular grate today.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here