Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Belly Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Belly Testing

Skip to second paragraph if you don't want story time

I have been put off from doing bacon lately by the fact that the local butcher, the only guy I knew to carry pork belly, was charging $11 a pound. I was driving through a nearby town the other day and saw a large Asian market, and I know they eat a lot of pork belly, at least in the areas I have been to. I went inside and near the large cases of fish and squid I saw the pork case, and it had everything from the trotters to the ears (I have seen some interesting ear recipes, but that is for another day). Their bellies are $3.25 so I bought a few pounds. As is generally the case in this area, the Asian market was mostly staffed by Mexicans, the one who served me said 'mmmmm chicharronns' which made me think that I really don't know much about this stuff at all, i've only done bacon. Time to change that!

I read many recipes, articles and watched video of many recipes but I only liked a couple, and even those had problems. I may learn that I can't have it the way I want it, but almost all of the methods dealt with boiling, and I don't want to do that. I couldn't find many smoker recipes either, the ones I did see had pretty severe issues with the skin behaving. I think I want a crispy skin, but more like pork rind than thick and crispy, but I'm not sure. Hopefully I will know soon! The other method I like is like is to capture the rendered fat, then use that fat to finish it in the fryer.

I cut the belly into 4 sort of equal pieces and decided on 4 tests:
    1. Basting-Skin on, basting the skin with oil every half hour or so. Most recipes the skin seems to just turn into a hard layer, I am going to try to counteract that and get something more fried. Pork rinds are fried skin, so maybe I can get closer to that.
    2. Wrap and Fry-Skin off, this is a Food Wishes inspired idea, smoke it for a bit for flavor, then wrap. Let cook and refrigerate without opening. Next day open and peel off all of the fat that melted then re-hardened and use it for frying itself.
    3. Wrap and Sear-Skin on, same as the Basting idea but hoping the skin will soften if wrapped (skin is protein, hoping it will tenderize a bit) if it does work try and sear it at the end, if it doesn't, wrap it up and treat like method 2 but new and improved with skin for chicharrones.
    4. Steak-No skin, not really 100% on this one, want something as a baseline with no skin to see what it's like.
    For the skin on pieces I sliced like this, the skin seems impenetrable so I sliced it like this so the seasoning get down to the meat. I cross-hatched one of them. Side bonus that they should be easier to eat with strips of crusties. Hold it like I am here and you can finish slicing any parts that didn't get deep enough.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SkinSliced.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	142750

It took me a bit to slice the first one as I was trying to cut like it was veggies, I put my finger on top for pressure and to guide, cut pretty deep at the top and it ran down cleanly just using the tip.

Name:	Kinfe.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	142749

I read of people having trouble skinning, I guess I have cut up enough butts because it wasn't difficult at all.

Name:	Skinning.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	142747
    Skin off, good layer of fat that I hope will protect and not harden the top.

Name:	NoSkin.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	142748

Here is a pic of my 4 test conditions, salted and waiting.

Name:	DoneTrimming.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	142746

As you can see at the bottom I rolled up a few of the pieces of skin, I may fry one up tomorrow when I finish the recipes that require that unless you guys have any ideas to try with them.

I will let you know how they do, will put them on in about 3 hours. Kenji says put baking soda on the skin, I might try that.

Groovy.......

Comment

_John_ - this is looking good! Can't wait to see the pics at the end and your review.

Comment

My friend also bought pork belly with the skin on. He used the skin to make dog treats.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          That Alien Life Form is hilarious and creepy all wrapped up into one.

_John_ , thanks for the details and the photos. It feels as though I'm peeking over your shoulder as you set up your pork belly experiment. Plus you get to do all the cleanup.

I'm going to follow this topic like a duck on a junebug. Can't wait to see how the experiment (and the chicarronnes on the side) turn out!

P.S. I've always wanted to try this method of making chicarrones. It's on my bucket list:

Kathryn

Comment

Leave it to you guys to bring this up...

So it went ok, not nearly as good as it was going to in my head

So the best part, nice clean new 26" with SnS.

Name:	20160220_123008.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	145051

Here they are after about an hour at 250, I did regular rub on one, Chinese 5 Spice on another, and vinegar to try to crisp up the skin on the bottom one.

Name:	20160220_142120.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	145054

As you may be able to tell from the above picture, I put a pan that was supposed to catch copious amounts of rendered fat, but it just wasn't melting.
          The skin for the most part got brittle but was still pretty tough, the vinegar recipe I found had it packed with salt for the last phase so I did that, it actually bubbled up and was fairly crispy.

Name:	20160220_144725.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	145052

End of the day though not enough fat rendered out for my tastes, it either needs a lot longer, or it just isn't my kind of texture. I am not a big fat fan.

But, at the end of the day, even if it doesn't turn out the way you hope, you still get a few pounds of bacon out of it! Except the cure, this is bacon, I would just as soon eat it this way.

Name:	Frying.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	145053
          Attached Files

Comment

I need to check the local meat place for their price on pork belly. Anything close to $11/lb isn't worth it for me.

Rather save up for a 26" kettle. Thinking I could run two briskets in that dude.

Comment

• jholmgren
              jholmgren commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah - wow, $11/lb is steep! I paid a bit under $4/lb for my last 10 lbs.

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              FWIW, Outfit called American Homestead Natural Meats has 12-14 pound bellies for $65+$10 shipping, so about $5.75/lb. Not cheap, but beats $11/lb. I've not ordered from them, so can't say more.
              Last edited by johnec00; March 22, 2016, 04:59 PM.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              @1.98/lb at Costco the other day.

I have seen pork belly at the local costco... dang thing was bigger than a brisket.

"gonna need a bigger boat" =)

Comment

I purchased some Pork Belly from Costco last summer. Cut it into thirds, 2/3 are still in the freezer, the last got some Memphis Rub and SNS'rd. Turned out Great!

Comment

How do you know when the belly is done? That is, what temp do you take it off at. I am guessing taking an internal will be dicey considering the fat content. Any ideas? I have a belly that I am planning on smoking this week. Thanks!!

Comment

It's not super critical. If you have a fast reading thermometer or a probe just stick it in the middle of the thickest part. Looking for 150-160 F. Even though it's "cooked" & safe at that temp you will likely slice & cook some more later.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here