Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favourite Mustard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your favourite Mustard?

I was brought up with "traditional" mustards - English, Dijon, etc. Over the years the choices have got wider and wider with many variations on the theme. Wholegrain mustards, mustards with beer, herbed mustards, and so on

For the last year or so I've been increasingly favouring the American style. Milder then most of the above but also slightly tarter with more of a vinegar taste, which I REALLY like - almost gives it a hint of pickle

French's Classic Yellow is on most supermarket shelves in the UK now and I rarely reach for anything else these days

What do other folks like?

"Favorite" depends entirely on what I want to use it for. From plain old yellow French's for Carolina BBQ sauce, to Grey Poupon or Maille for salad dressing or sandwiches, to a homemade concoction for a dip or spread.

Comment

Plain Jain Mustard such as French's or any off brand is fine for me for sammiches.

But I click here to amp it up for pulled pork

Comment

Depends on the application for sure:

- MH's SC Mustard sauce is great on pretty much everything.
        - I like a whole grain/Dijon blend on most sangers and hot dogs. Gotta pair it with tangy kraut, pickles or MH's NY hot dog onion sauce. The tang and zing work perfectly together.
        - Provençal mustard by Maille is great on chicken sandwiches and also in salad dressings.

Comment

Gulden's Spicy Brown
          Woeber Horseradish Mustard
          Zatarain's creole mustard

In no particular order!

Comment

Zatarain's Creole mustard

Comment

Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon? My real favorite was Howard Johnson's mustard on one of their great hot dogs, sorry, frankfurters according to their menu. Supposedly it had honey in it, and for some reason I am not a fan of today's honey mustard's. But I sure remember scarfing it when I was a kid.

Comment

Make my own honey mustard! Honey and plain yellow mustard (Frenchs)

Comment

Plochman's for plain yellow. For spicy mustard I mix up my own.
                  Last edited by Craigar; February 5, 2016, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Beaver makes some of the best specialty Mustards you can try. Their Sweet & Hot is unreal.

Comment

• oldsteve
                      oldsteve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I totally agree. So are some of their horseradish concoctions.

Originally posted by HorseDoctor View Post
                    "Favorite" depends entirely on what I want to use it for. .
                    That's fair comment. Should have said I was really thinking of just putting on sandwiches but all recommendations welcome

The great thing about this forum is that you come across loads of stuff you haven't heard of before. The cost of shipping these days means it isn't economic to try them all out, but that Beaver Sweet Hot recommended by Strolan and oldsteve is available here in the UK so I have one of those on order

Comment

• Mickeylou5
                      Mickeylou5 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      For me it is the high cost of real estate inside the fridge. 😳 and I have a pretty large refridgerator!

I forgot to mention that besides the "Beaver" brand, Beaverton Foods also makes mustard's under their "Inglehoffer" line of products. So if you happen to find this on your grocers shelf, go for it!

Comment

Honey mustard smeared all over a lamb roast and then cooked......

Comment

Gulden's and Zatarain's. Trader Joe makes a good brown one as well.

Comment

Well, it's been a while since I asked this question but we just finished a pot of grain mustard with this evening's steak so I was prompted to revisit this.

Thanks for the recommendations. Can't get all of the above easily in the UK, but for starters I've ordered a pot each of Zatarain's Creole and Beaver Sweet Hot so looking forwards to trying them

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here