Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With a Stickburner - when do you sleep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With a Stickburner - when do you sleep?

Hi, all -

I have a EOS on order - my first offset smoker of any kind.

When you're doing a long cook such as brisket with hardwood, when the heck do you sleep? Especially if you're pre-burning your wood?

Thanks!
    --Tom_S

In one hour increments. But I don't pre-burn wood. I stumble out, throw a log on the fire, hit the timer and nap a bit more. This is why at contests, stick burners tend to be on the hot n fast side. Sleep about 5-6 hours, up at 3 am and crank it up. Meat on around 4ish.

Comment

Thanks, CandySueQ.

Comment

What did you order Tom?

Comment

Tom_S I don't know if you're competing or just cooking in your backyard but, it's probably not a bad idea to figure out how much time you need and then add an extra hour to it, minimum. Sometimes it takes a while to get your offset up to temp.

Comment

Jerod, I ordered a 24" x 48" offset pipe smoker from Lone Star Grillz in Willis, Tx. It's a standard flow with tuning plates. I upgraded the firebox to 1/2" plate, as well as a few other upgrades. Here's a link to LSG's 24" offset smoker offerings: http://www.lonestargrillz.com/reviews.html

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Coolness. One day I hope to get one of their vertical insulated smokers. I'm about 2.5 hours from them.

• Tom_S
              Tom_S commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm about 3 hours away, in DFW. I pass right by there when I visit my daughter in Houston.

If they double walled and insulated that firebox, that'd be close to perfection in my opinion! Sweet cooker regardless.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Probably not, you get either 1/4", 1/2", or insulated that has 1/4" on each side.

I think he wanted to keep the grill top option on the firebox.

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I would too, but why couldn't the flip top be insulated as well?

• Tom_S
              Tom_S commented
              Editing a comment
              CandySueQ, they also include a 1/2" thick griddle plate underneath the flip top, so there's a total of 3/4" of steel on the top, with an air gap between the griddle plate and the top. So at least the top is a little better insulated than plain plate steel.

CandySueQ, they will upgrade to an insulated firebox but I was pretty much at my spending limit.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              I would have went on a locust and wild honey diet to get that insulated firebox.

• PaulstheRibList
              PaulstheRibList commented
              Editing a comment
              #OnlyInsulatedBox4Me

Sleeping for one hour intervals is worse than no sleep. It's BBQ, forget sleep. LOL

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              😬sleep is very important to me.

That's why I like my large BGE with my DigiQ Dx2. I can set it and forget it. I go to sleep for 8 hours and then get up, make my morning Joe and then go out and check on the BGE. It's always chugging along at 225°Ã°Å¸â€˜Å’

Jerod's correct - I wanted to keep the grill top, and I had to stop spending money somewhere! I'm hoping the 1/2" plate will be a good heat sink.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              You could always wrap some R20/R30 insulation around it when the weather gets cold. May not be pretty, but there is a reason(s) an insulated firebox is standard on a Jambo

Huskee

• Tom_S
              Tom_S commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, Jerod, that has occurred to me.... there are other high-temp insulating products that might be a little less gnarly than using standard R20 or R30.

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
            Sleeping for one hour intervals is worse than no sleep. It's BBQ, forget sleep. LOL
            Hahaha, that's just what I wanted to hear!

Comment

Tom_S, Ernest, Is A Young Fellow That Hasn't Learned the Fine Art of Sleeping Fast!
              Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                I haven't slept since my first child was born, 8 years ago. HAHAHA

• Tom_S
                Tom_S commented
                Editing a comment
                It'll get better, I promise!

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Ernest ...

You will get lots of sleep when they're in their early teen's. They won't want to hangout with you much from then on. Their friends will take up lots of their free time. They will start having you drop them off at school a 1/2 block down the road.😏

Kids are funny creatures.😎

I do the 1 hour increments on a stickburn overnight. It's fun, but I don't want to do it all the time.

Comment

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Fun??? It's just necessary. I'm leaning hard towards hot n fast this year at contests. And taking the pellet fire off the Jambo. Just as a perspective, weight wise wood use to cook on the Jambo is the same amount as pellets needed. With the pellet fire sleep is in 3 hour increments.

• PaulstheRibList
                Editing a comment
                Pellet fired Jambo? Please share more!!!

• PaulstheRibList
                Editing a comment
                Bye the way, I have still yet to smoke a Brisket on the stickburners where I had the fire right the entire cook. I either didn't wake up when I should have, or I had to leave and do work stuff during the day and was late getting back. Can't wait for #FireManagementPerfectCook

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here