Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hay Smoking Steaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hay Smoking Steaks?

Watching Project Smoke on PBS. Steven was smoking steaks with hay for about 10min. before grilling. Anyone here ever try this? I might give it a try...

Bermuda, Bahia, Alfalfa???

Comment

• Fine Swine
      Fine Swine commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty sure wheat or barley...

Ok. That would be more straw than hay. Much lower moisture content, plenty lignin. Although people bale it and call it hay. We farmed rice and baled the straw. Might get locked up in a padded room if ya tried to cook with it.

Comment

I watched a video of his, I think he was on one of those Memphis Grills that you use wood on. Cooking elk tenderloin, neat back ground music, he reminds me of the guy that has been painting that same tree on PBS for the last 35 years.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        My Wife calls PBS the All Dead Network! I watched Rice being Combined in Southern Arkansas Once! All I learned
        Was that I would never buy a used Rice Combine! Dan

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        haha, that is pretty much all the farmers back home can afford. Unless they got some oil wells. New ones are running $500,000 a pop. Most just lease them now, even the wealthy ones.

I enjoy PBS. Never heard of using hay, but I suppose a person could use just about any cellulose material that didn't give a blatantly bad taste when burned.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        When my dad was young he said they had a block smoke house for smoking fish And they would burn corn cobs to get a good coal bed then throw apple wood on it for the smoke.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Powersmoke_80 I've heard of using corn cobs too. Never tried it though.

Hay is quite common for quick smoke effects in restaurants. If, like Jerod Broussard points out, real hay is used, then it works fine. I would never use straw. The same goes for juniper branches, doing a 5 minute smoke of scallops for example.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here