Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kamado Joe cast iron griddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kamado Joe cast iron griddle

I got a Kamado Joe cast iron griddle for Christmas. I'm trying to think of all the uses. Is it best for searing steaks (over traditional methods of putting meat close to roaring fire)? Will it be a better crust?

Can I use it for searing salmon the way Meathead suggests of olive oil heated up and sear it? Will the oil run over the sides into the pit?

Any other common uses? I'm thinking about cooking bacon on it so it doesn't create a bacon smell (even though it's not a horrible smell, just strong smell).

Interesting. I have friends that have the cast iron dutch kettle and the wok but not the griddle. I imagine grease/fat management is the big concern. If there is a way to keep it away from the fire then you should be good to go. I would be very interested in how it performs. I'm all about cooking the bacon outside and away from the house. I normally bake it in the wilmington grill on a rack at about 350 degrees for about half an hour or more until its crisp.

Comment

+1 for bacon. Cooked up a bunch over the weekend, took it outside to the griddle. Love the smell, hate the mess.

My Weber Spirit has a small cast iron griddle-pan insert. I haven't popped for the KJ griddle. My wife uses it a lot to stir-fry veggies. Helps keep the mess off the stove top. I've also used it for making cheese steaks - pretty much anything that wants to be pan-fried, I try to do outside on the griddle when possible.

Comment

It is best for many many many things! It's just a skillet without the sides. You can get it ripping hot for full surface steak sear without smoking up your home.
        You can cook a full breakfast on it.
        You get better better burgers on it
        You can definitely cook shrimp, salmon etc
        Fajitas
        Use it as a pizza stone
        You see where I'm going with this?

I have griddles for my 22. Best advice is clean it and store in inside

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here