Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Word of the reverse sear is really getting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Word of the reverse sear is really getting out

I was watching a morning show this morning and they had a cooking segment on with the author of "The Great Cook." He explained his way to cook a Christmas beef roast in the oven. - the reverse sear!

Cook at 150-200 until you reach an internal temp of 125 and then put the roast in a pan and sear it.

Hmmmmmm, sounds familiar!

IT IS da bomb....

Comment

We all have been educated on the Reverse Sear by Meathead. We've all tried it and know as a matter of fact that it's a superior method of cooking steaks.

However when I use to frequent the Big Green Egg website if I suggested the reverse sear or Meathead's name I would be attacked and insulted and told I didn't know what I was talking about. I no longer frequent that website.

Sometimes you can't help the ignorants.😬

Comment

I'm not sure of the time frame, but America's Test Kitchen has been using the reverse sear for quite a while. It is all I ever use now.

Comment

I don't think Meathead ever claimed to INVENT the reverse sear... I am pretty sure it predates him. On the website ironpigbbq.com Chris Finney CLAIMS to have invented it. I doubt he is the first as I know even as a kid my Dad would toss the steak in a super hot cast iron skillet just before he served it to us. Let's ust be glad we know how to do it!
          A popular topic in the barbecue community today is reverse searing, which inverts the traditional method of cooking meat—hot sear followed by slow roast.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Meathead has stated that he DID NOT create the reverse sear method. He mentioned there were a few chefs using that technique before him. What Meathead gets credit for is publicizing it and spreading the word... Something that had not been done yet.

Those that had learned the old way of cooking a steak... Sear first and then bake it were reluctant to shift gears into the reverse sear technique. Now it has pretty much swept the entire country.

Thank you Meathead.😎

I am reminded of Robert Fulton and the steamboat. He gets credit for the invention but if you look at his patent application it is clear that several others had successfully built and tested steam powered boats. But he not only combined improved technology and commercialized it but evangelized its benefits and success.

I do remember so well reading magazine articles about searing in the juices. It is good top live in an enlightened age. Perhaps in a few years we will wonder what we did before we cooked the steaks sous vide to a desired temp and then seared them in a cast iron skillet.

Hah!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here