Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunk of Caribou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunk of Caribou

My son brought home a big hunk of Caribou from a friend who was hunting in Canada. I'm not sure what "cut" of meat the hunk is. Any ideas on the best way to prepare? Can I smoke it like I do a brisket?

Odds are it will be pretty lean, which does not lend it'self to low and slow without a lot of added moisture. As much as we all like to smoke/bbq stuff, unless you could identify it as a piece of backstrap, I would do an old fashioned pot roast in a dutch oven.

Comment

I'd treat it like a deer neck, round, chuck. Brown it and pot roast that sucker.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. One other idea I had was to use it to make Meatheads recipe for Texas chili. What do you think about that?

Comment

Big Jim, I agree with the others the Meat is likely Lean! While it necessary to bring game to Temp like Pork I would caution against over cooking? I don't have a good reference for you other than Google? Good Luck! Eat Well and Prosper! Dan

Comment

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            Danjohnston949 Other than the possibility of trichinosis in boar, bear or cougar, I'm unaware of a need to take game (at least cervids) to a temp past medium rare. Am I missing something?

One thing that makes a huge difference is the age of The animal , typically most people go for the big glorious mature male which are usually tough as nails. if they're good meat Hunter they would've taken a young animal but either way it's a huge difference. Grill up a small piece medium medium rare and You will know real quick. If it is old then I agree with braising, pot roast, chile, stew all works well. Ground meat also works well just make sure if you're cooking patties that you cook them to at least medium.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here