Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid 225...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid 225...

I was testing out ham yesterday and since I was having guests over I figured I would make a couple racks of baby backs just in case the ham wasn't great, plus i know they love my ribs.

This is the first 225 cook I have done since I got pretty decent at smoking, I did it on my WSM 22 with the ribs on the bottom rack and the ham on top. I don't usually wrap ribs so I just tossed them on a let them go, concentrating mainly on the ham. After 6 hours they still weren't done but the ham was so we took it inside and all enjoyed. Once dinner was done I checked the ribs and they were good enough to come in, I wrapped em in some foil and let them sit about a half hour.

Guests were preparing to leave so since they like my ribs I wrapped up a rack for them to take home. I didn't want to just toss the other rack in the fridge without at least tasting them so I sliced that rack up. Now they were a little on the dry side, no sauce, no wrap etc. but these were the best ribs I have eaten, anywhere. I just wrote a post last week about how my ribs were nothing close to my favorite restaurant, but these edged them out. Even though we were all full from ham and all the sides and dessert I got 3 down, my wife 1 and the rest for our friends. All said they were the best ever.

So, I got the same brand from the same place I always do, prepped and rubbed like I always do, the only difference was 225, is it possible that was what did it? If that is the case do I even dare to try a pork butt at 225? It may ruin my cooks forever and I'll have to disable my PBC to only do 225.

I don't know what temp you usually do your ribs or butt, but there is a difference between cooking between 225-275 and 350. You won't find much difference in a butt or the ribs cooked anywhere between 225 and 275.

Comment

I just cooked a pork butt with the SnS running 270, sister in law said it was my best one yet.

Comment

I usually cook 275, not sure why my ribs were so much better this time if there isn't a difference in that range...

Comment

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          Colder, cleaner smoke...just a hunch.

Too paraphrase a dude that runs a large BBQ website, "Meat ain't widgets!!!"

Comment

Low n Slow at 225 is the only way to bbq...

And with all wood of course
          Last edited by DWCowles; December 21, 2015, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Guess i'm gonna have to try, no clue how long a pork butt takes at 225. Did like 100 this year and have it down pretty good, now I might have to change.

Comment

I do believe 225 F will get you the best possible result with pork butt, but you can get great results cooking at hotter temps. The perfect butt doesn't do you any good if it's done 5 hours after the guests leave. Cook at 225 F if you have the time, otherwise cook to get it done ON time.

Comment

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                That's where "Planning" comes in play David Parrish

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                You said it!

FWIW, my pork butts on my Weber kettle + SnS & Big Green Egg at ~225 were in the 14-18 hour range and at ~250 about 12 hours.

Comment

• _John_
                _John_ commented
                Editing a comment
                Mine too, but 4 hours is a big window, I will aim for 16 and be ready for what I get

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                When speeding up Pork Butt cooks I've found the best compromise is to cook it at 225 F until it hits the stall, then crank the heat up to 275 F until the meat is out of the stall (typically 175 F to 180 F internal) then letting the temp settle back down to 225 F until the butt finishes around 203 F.

John. Cooked my pork butt on a WSM at 225-230. Check my posting here:

I am going to try my second pork shoulder this week. First one turned out good but I am going to try this one without wrapping. I have a 13.3lb shoulder that

This post also compares results wrapping/not wrapping.

Highly recommend cutting large shoulder in half to help reduce cook time and increase bark area.

Comment

I always do pork butts at 250. Pork ribs at 225 using the 321 method. Beef ribs at 250. Chicken at 275. Brisket at 225.

Comment

I'm a firm believer in ribs at 220-240, no higher. My personal preference. Butts I don't really care.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here