Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capon Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capon Help?

Merry Christmas everyone,
    I'm seeking both some strategy and advice on my two Christmas "Mains," this year - a 15lbs smoked ham and a 12lbs smoked capon.

I'm following homemade wet-brine recipe for the ham here on Amazing Ribs, though, have never cooked a capon and was hoping someone may have some experience or insight.

I'm cooking on the 22.5 WSM and would obviously like them to be hot and ready at the same time, though, fear one will be done prior to the other.

My original plan was to treat the capon as I would a turkey, though, knowing that a capon is obviously NOT a turkey, I wanted to be sure I had a sound plan in place prior to my cook.

I was thinking to prevent any catastrophes, I would cook my ham on the 24th and place it in the cooker when my capon reaches 150*. If I pulled my ham on the 24th at 130*, would I be running into any food safety issues by finishing the cook on the 25th?

I plan on dry brining / butterballing the capon prior to its cook. Any suggestions on a rub aside from the Simon and Garfunkel?

Thanks and your thoughts are much appreciated.

-Mike.

Welcome MikeO88

Comment

Welcome to the Pit MikeO88.

Comment

MikeO88, Wish I could offer some advice but I have never cooked a Capon in my life and my experience with a WSM is limited but I bet if you are patient the Cavalry is on the way! Welcome to the Pit! Eat Well and Prosper, From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Treat it like a turkey or better yet a chicken. Spatchcock it. Cook at 325 minimum, I happen to prefer hotter like 350-375 or so. Take the breasts to 160-165max. Meathead's Georgia Smoked Yardbird recipe is great. I like to use either the herbal rub similar to S&G, or a BBQ rub similar to Meathead's Memphis Dust would work too if you'd like a more BBQ flavored bird.

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            I think Capon is one of those S&P birds. Even its breast got some fat marbling.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Ernest S&P as in salt & pepper or did you mean S&G?

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Regular ol' Salt and Pepper.
            It is like that expensive Wagyu steak (capons ain't cheap). Deserves a lot of leave alone.

welcome and what he said treat it like turkey or chicken just don't over cook good luck that's a lot of food and thickness to cook together I am sure with patience it will be perfect Merry Christmas

Comment

A capon is just a big castrated fatter chicken (roosters). They are castrated making them less pretty much inactive then pampered.
            Best way would probably be 275-325 range

Comment

Thanks folks, so far so good. Ham will be in the cure in a few hours.

Any advice on a target temp to precook the ham to? I'm thinking I'll do it on the 24th and look to finish it an hour or so before the capon is done on the 25th.

Comment

MikeO88 Why precook?

Comment

In fear of the two not getting done exactly at the same time.

Comment

MikeO88 If you have one of them foodsaver vacuum sealers, you could fully cook the Ham and vacuum seal it. On feasting day drop it in hot water to gently reheat while the capon is cooking. Then unwrap the Ham and tighten it up on the grill towards the end of the capon cook.

Or wrap in cling film and place in a large ziploc bag, suck the air out. Reheat in hot water.
                    Pour 150 degrees hot water in a cooler and reheat the Ham in there.

Comment

Capon and ham came out excellent. Wish I did the ham the same day as it dried out a bit on reheating, but, a success nonetheless.

Comment

• Breadhead
                        Breadhead commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Both look great... Good cook.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here