Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for ideas for a pulled beef sauce.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for ideas for a pulled beef sauce.

The KC style sauces I typically use just don't seem to go well with beef to me, I want something a little different. I checked the recipes here and on the main site but nothing jumped out.
    I did make the Alabama White Sauce from the main site a couple weeks ago and it is amazing, but I think a little overpowering for beef, the horseradish is good, but I think the vinegar pushes it too far. I don't want sweet with beef either so the mayo comes across a little too sweet.

Ideas?

What about cutting a little from the beef, put that in the a shallow pan and let it smoke a little until you get some jus. Doctor that with some Dijon mustard, woshahaha sauce and maybe red wine. You mix that with whatever jus you collect from the main beef.

It will be a thin sauce but you can thicken it up with some caramelized onions.

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      That would work for a pretty thin sauce, a little beef love base. Speaking of, have you tried beef base? Sounds like a great kind of condensed stock, sort of a paste.

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      I use better than Boullion beef and Chicken.

I found that the KC sauce on the main site made without the molasses (I didn't have any) and lite on the honey works very well with beef. It isn't as sweet and the spices go really well with pit beef. Just my two cents.

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds pretty good, thanks for the idea.

Head Country regular mixed with brisket juice (defatted). Very yummy. Fast to do. Here in Arkansas, Walmart carries Head Country sauce.

I'm very partial to Meathead's Secretariat Sauce on hot or cold brisket and steaks. I've adapted it a bit for my taste. Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, leave the milk out and add more white pepper. Keeps very well in the frig.

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      You know I haven't tried the Secretariat sauce, but Head Country to me is the best commercial sauce out there. I always pour it into squirt bottles because the one it comes in has too large an opening for how runny it is and everybody thinks its homemade. I will see if I can get enough juice out of this chuck, the last few times haven't netted me much.

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Make your own "jus!" Beef consume if you want a gelatinous mouth feel, Better than Bullion, beef stock, etc. all will work. Just be aware of salt content in these.

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I want to try that better than bouillon, the powdered stuff is terrible.

If you go to the BBQ sauce thread in the recipes channel I posted a recipe for J-1 beef sauce. I've used it with short ribs a couple of times and it was very well received by my diners.

Comment

I was playing around with adding some HP steak sauce to some malt vinegar about a month ago for a short rib glaze. It was pretty good but I don't remember the exact proportions.

When in doubt, you can't go wrong with a creamy horseradish sauce for any type of beef.

Comment

I inherited a sauce from my uncle that is sort of a dumbed-down Secretariat... really easy. Mayo, dijon mustard, horseradish, and Worcestershire. Mix to taste. Not fancy, but always a hit with brisket, chuckie, prime rib, etc.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here