Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White Cheddar Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Cheddar Cheese

I've got a 2 pound block of it that's been aged for 5 years, if you like sharp cheddar this is it. Besides cutting it up and putting it on Chicken in a Bisket crackers (which is great), what should I do with it? I've been thinking about grilled Mac & Cheese but that kind of seems like a waste. Originally it was a 3 pound block but a third of it was used on burgers and the Chicken in a Bisket's mentioned above. Any suggestions?

It's not a waste if you're eating it.

Comment

i know people will make a cheese sauce out of it and make mac n cheese, put it on a nice large beef sandwich, etc

make stuffed chicken breasts/pork loin with it

put it on apple pie

fondu

the possibilities are endless

Comment

If it's really high quality stuff, get your best homemade preserves and pickles (I like pickled red onions and cornichons), some whole grain mustard, a fresh baked crusty French loaf, your favourite adult beverage and make a snack platter. Some really good prosciutto or smoked duck breast would also be right at home on this board.

Comment

This is why I love this place, nothing but great thinkers. Some of those suggestions are ones I'd have never come up with, especially the apple pie! Thanks everyone!

Apple pie and white cheddar......would it really work?

Comment

Originally posted by bbqoaf View Post
            If it's really high quality stuff, get your best homemade preserves and pickles (I like pickled red onions and cornichons), some whole grain mustard, a fresh baked crusty French loaf, your favourite adult beverage and make a snack platter. Some really good prosciutto or smoked duck breast would also be right at home on this board.
            It's high quality stuff bbqloaf, it came from this place: http://ehlenbachscheese.com/. It's a couple hours away from my hometown but my wife and I make regular road trips there.

Heck, they have a 30 foot tall cow outside their building, in Wisconsin that just screams quality!

Comment

• bbqoaf
              bbqoaf commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahaha, sounds like they know their rotten milk! Great cheddar is one of life's simple joys.

Smoke it, as cool as you can. Put it on a wire rack over ice cubes and smoke it for an hour. Wrap in plastic wrap tightly and let it rest for a few days.
            ribeyeguy I see you are in South East Wisconsin... Port Washington is my home town.

Comment

Originally posted by CurlingDog View Post
              Smoke it, as cool as you can. Put it on a wire rack over ice cubes and smoke it for an hour. Wrap in plastic wrap tightly and let it rest for a few days.
              ribeyeguy I see you are in South East Wisconsin... Port Washington is my home town.
              Not far away CurlingDog, Racine here.

Comment

which reminds me... gotta get down there to pick up some cookin pellets soon

Comment

And to check out the Racine Curling club http://www.racinecurlingclub.com/

Who sells pellets in Racine?

Comment

• CurlingDog
                    CurlingDog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ribeyeguy http://www.cookinpellets.com/about-cookinpellets.com/

ABOUT COOKINPELLETS.COM

Cookinpellets.com was started because we got aggravated at the minimal flavor that was produced by the original grill manufacturers pellets we bought.
                    So we found the best product we could and made it better by giving you the customer a little extra and an honest buy.
                    We do not have a retail store but You can pick up locally. Just call us at 262.498.6215 or e-mail us at [email protected] to arrange a local pick up.
                    We stand behind our products 100% !
                    If you're not happy, we want to know.
                    We use a pellet grill about 4-6 days per week and are serious about offering you something that we found missing in this industry....
                    A 100% top hardwood product at a great price with awesome flavor!
                    Thanks for checking in...
                    NOW GET COOKIN!!
                    The Pellet Guy
                    Cookinpellets.com
                    PO Box 44127
                    Racine WI 53404

Smoke it! You bet. I have a Weber performer gold and we smoke cheese on it often. I take a coffee can that I have perforated along the bottom with a "beer opener" and place it in the ash catcher pan with 2 lit charcoal briquettes and 3 or 4 wood chunks on top of them. I like fruit wood for this most of the time. Then we put a couple of pans of ice on the charcoal rack and finally the cheese on the cooking rack. The smoke moves up from the ash catcher through the Weber, around the cheese, and out the vents. On a cool day (60 degrees or less) you can smoke the cheese about as long as you wish (adding more wood chunks if necessary). You can go from a very delicately smoked gouda or cheddar, to a heavily smoked swiss or blue (my favorite). My wife's favorite is a cheddar from Ireland with a light smoke on it.

Comment

Just so you know, there is no difference between white cheddar and yellow. The yellow color comes from food coloring, usually anatto.

Comment

• ribeyeguy
                      ribeyeguy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Geez, I'm from Wisconsin and I never knew that. I'm the shame of my State. So white cheddar is cheddar in its natural, un-tampered with form? Do you know if that holds true for other cheeses? Are all the yellow cheeses tampered with just for consumer appeal?

• mgaretz
                      mgaretz commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, cheese is pretty much white or very light yellow unless somehow colored.

But cheese doesn't happen naturally. Milk gets tampered with to make cheese, a huge amount compared to just adding coloring. Anatto is a natural coloring agent.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here