Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Member locator Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskee
    replied
    How about this: http://www.click2map.com/locate_the_...twork_on_a_map
    if someone has the patience and tech ability to proceed. It looks easy but I'll post it here for someone else to look at.

EDIT nevermind it looks to be subscription. I'm quite sure there are free services of this nature, like Google.
    Last edited by Huskee; August 13, 2014, 12:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I can't add a pin to this. I don't see the option.

• Huskee
    replied
    John can you set it up where different colored pins are used for member locations, vs restaurants? Say red = members, yellow= BBQ joints?

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Jon, I was talking about something a little more custom, but I like your idea. If I did this right then you should all be able to access my custom map here and can enter a pin if you wish.

Now if this works we need to puts some restaurants on with reviews as well so I know where to eat when passing through.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Jon's post aove, #9, is like what I was envisioning. Clicking each pin (or better yet, just a hover) tells the user and the town. I wonder if we could set up an Amazing Ribs Google Earth map, where only our members could access it and tag their current towns. Is this poss with G Maps? I don't even know. I suppose if a user wanted to add their address and have everyone getting a satellite view of their yard that's up to them

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    This is very much like what I had in mind.

• Huskee
    replied
    I think non automatic might be best, more secure, and definitely easier to setup. Similar to a paper map on a wall of an establishment, you can walk up to it and look at all the pins, and then add your own to a town level if you choose to. From a distance you can see the largest concentrations of members or the scattered spread.

I personally wouldn't want to list my address, since for every thousand nice people there will be one creep. So I think city/town level should suffice. And I think for those that want to hide behind their screens and not participate, the non-NSA nature of a manual map wold be more palatable.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    I know you guys are joking, but since I'm the PB and I don't want to be misinterpreted let me just be plain that this is only meant to be a fun way for folks to see who they may live near. It can also give everyone an idea of how global this hobby really is. I don't want to even get close to having folks feel like their privacy is at risk. If you'll all look at your profiles you'll notice that location information is already displayed if you opted to provide it. We're not talking about anything more specific than town/state/province/country level information and we're definitely not talking about displaying any information that folks didn't opt in to providing.

Keep the ideas coming!

Leave a comment:

• The Burn
    replied
    If we did addresses, we could just use street level view to see everyone's rigs without having to post photos

Leave a comment:

• Gunderich_1
    replied
    Hey Pit Boss, you can always go to the NSA. I'm sure they already have the interactive map on all of us up and running! All, jokes aside, I'd be for it. I especially like the idea of using it to organize local get togethers. Could make for some fun cook offs and good times.
    Last edited by Gunderich_1; August 13, 2014, 10:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    I would like that so that local folks can reach out and organize AR Pitmasters Get To Gethers (GTG) aka ARPGTG!! I, for one would like to have some direct interaction with some other like minded "Q"ers.

So the map thingy is a great idea.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    I think this example of a member map like John is referring too.

Members add their location if they choose.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Originally posted by kirikintha View Post
    You would also need to put an option in for privacy, if some people don't want to show their location. Privacy above all!
    Of course! That's why we'd have the opt in/out function.

Leave a comment:

• kirikintha
    replied
    You would also need to put an option in for privacy, if some people don't want to show their location. Privacy above all!

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    The easiest way, and free (unless tens of thousands use it a day) is to use Google maps, you can create the map and if you have all of the locations plot them all fairly easily, but your web people would have to add it to the site somewhere unless you were talking about having it hosted outside of the AR domain. If I had a list of locations I could build out the html, it would just have to be hosted somewhere (you could launch it from your desktop but it wouldn't be online.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here