Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camera resolution too high to post pics now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera resolution too high to post pics now

When I got a new phone (Samsung S20 XL) it came with a better camera. Now I get an error saying my pics are too big so I have to resize any pictures with a separate app before posting which is a pain. Could AR change the max picture size to accommodate modern phones? Thanks.

I had that issue with an iPhone update. Send a photo to your computer and see what format arrives. I had "live" activated on my iPhone (took quite awhile to figure out the problem). Live saves in HEIC. Nothing in HEIC downloaded here. I downloaded a program called HEIC converter. It changed the HEIC photos to .jpg. It really was a pain.

I just had to trade the old phone in for a new one. I made sure I disabled "live". The new photos load just fine. I wonder if it is a format, not a resolution issue even though you are getting a size error.

Comment

The error says I've exceeded the maximum resolution. If I resize to just below the max it works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201206-114938_Chrome.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	951641

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        That is interesting. While you were posting this, I was looking up HEIC/HEIF stuff. My answer might be off. I was getting a size error and a format error when posting mine. I can't remember exactly what it said but it wasn't that.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been running into this on various sites for years (who needs all those extra pixel and over-large pics anyway). Easy enough to find "free beer" or cheap programs for most platforms to crop or lower the density.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I've just stopped posting as many pics. It's just become too much of a hassle. That's why I'm contributing less to SUWYC.

Try seeing if this helps

Comment

It's already set to convert to jpg and all my photos are indeed in jpg format.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20201206-115631_Gallery.jpg Views:	2 Size:	243.6 KB ID:	951653

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201206-120646_Photos.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	951656

Last edited by Attjack; December 6, 2020, 02:07 PM.

Comment

I have this issue sometimes too if trying to upload from my iPhone 11 directly. When I go to the computer or iPad it works, but I think that is because it got synced as a JPEG instead of as a HEIC file. Then other times, I upload from my phone just fine. I find it to be inconsistent for sure, uploading from a mobile device to the pit.

With newer high res cameras, even if it gets scaled down, the Pit probably needs to be setup to handle the upload, even if it is scaled down for what is saved.

I am certain the development team will get this sorted out before long, Attjack.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm also able to upload from my desktop without issue although by that point it's coming from Google photos so it may have already been downsized. But the photos on my phone are definitely in jpg format as is evident from the file properties I posted above. Unfortunately, for me it's every single picture coming from my camera and not a hit and miss situation.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Young whippersnappers and their newfangled phones! What's wrong with the phones we gots!?!

Is there a reason why you need to take photos at such a high resolution? Unless you're printing enlargements, it's probably not necessary. I set the resolution to a lower setting on my phone.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I want high quality photos. I do make prints from my photos. It's a big part of the reason I'm willing to spend over 1k on a top of the line phone.
            Last edited by Attjack; December 6, 2020, 05:23 PM.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Most phones don’t give you a way to change the camera resolution. iPhones definitely don’t. And every new phone increases the resolution.

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            I know Android has its haters, and there are things I really don't like about it, but it does permit the image resolution to be changed. Go to Apps: Camera: Settings (the gear icon in the upper right): Rear picture size: change the resolution. Choose Front picture size to change its resolution.

No problems for me. This coming March I will have had my iPhone SE original for 5 years.

Maybe in March I’ll finally upgrade.

LOL

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            You lucky duck. I would have kept my 7. I was very happy with it until the last upgrade. It went bonkers. After I decided to upgrade my son said "dad, avoid all upgrades after two years. You don’t download new apps". Should have talked to him first.

I take pics in the highest format, then I process them to JPEG at roughly 4k which is the max sites like this and a few others will accept. I use canons software that came with the camera, and haven't moved to the more professional stuff yet, but supposedly a lot of great cheap or even free photo editing tools out there.

You have to do it for resolution as well as file type post processing unless there's a better way.
          Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; December 6, 2020, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the full Adobe suite but I just want to be able to snap pics and upload them from my phone like I used to without crippling the capability of my camera phone.

We have to keep the images sizes limited. This is mostly for two reasons. Disk size and bandwidth.

It is not size of the image in pixels that is the problem. It is the massive size in bytes. A plain white image that is 6936x9248 would be almost 600MB. The server has about 120GB free (right now). So only 200 images at 6936x9248 would fill up the space and crash the server.

I think you all post that many every week!

Also, when you view images, even if they look small on the screen, the server still has to send the entire 600GB+ image to each person who views it.

More than 70% of members view this site on small screens. So an image of 640x480 is more than enough (1/150th the size).

No one has a screen that can actually view a 9000+ pixel image in it's entirety. An large monitor would be 1920 pixels wide. It would take approximately 30 of them to view a 6936x9248 image at its native size.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought we uploaded a picture, AR downsized the image , and then discarded the original?

• raywjohnson
            raywjohnson commented
            Editing a comment
            Nope, they are stored at whatever size the are when uploaded. I had to set up a daily task to do the resizing. Before that, there were 140GB+ of images. My script reduced that to about 25GB. There are currently 28GB of images/attachments.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Wait, they are resized or are they not resized?

"Nope, they are stored at whatever size the are when uploaded. I had to set up a daily task to do the resizing."

Have to wonder if there was a converter to run on the server automatically to cap the size stored on the site?

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I assumed this was already happening. Seems like we could save a lot of server space that way.

• raywjohnson
            raywjohnson commented
            Editing a comment
            I looked into that option (would be nice). Did not find a good solution. Which is why I setup the daily resizer (for now). I will continue to seek a better solution. Try to find a way to allow the larger images and resize them on the fly.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, Ray.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here