Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcements button counter is annoying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Announcements button counter is annoying

It is one thing to be alerted when management posts something in that channel, but to be alerted every time anyone else replies to a thread is annoying. Only show the message counter when management posts something new, or drop the counter all together if that is not possible.

On a similar note, I can’t get the counter to stop saying I’ve got 2 Announcements.....even though I’ve already read them. I’ve clicked on the 2 announcements and read them, and it’s still showing I’ve got 2 announcements.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; November 17, 2020, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      I have 3. What do I win!
      Last edited by rickgregory; November 17, 2020, 11:17 AM.

Yeah, I was thinking earlier that it's a nice touch to have the announcements counter when there are actually new announcements. I think at some point, people will stop actually reading the stuff in that channel if it stays this way.

Comment

Today is the first time since I joined the Pit that I recall seeing announcements appear after log-in. There are more than a few of them on that channel. Is there a reason they haven't appeared before? I haven't changed any settings.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        New-ish feature, now old-ish feature.

Originally posted by ComfortablyNumb
      Apparently I'm not the only one. Could you imagine if every channel had a button and a counter with how many new posts in it? You can just click on it, scroll down, and hit 'Mark Channel As Read' to make the counter go away. Or if you are as lazy as myself, just ignore it.

Comment

As with all changes and updates lately...here it comes... work in progress! The idea is to have the counter when there are new topics posted from management, not every single reply in any of the existing posts. Hang tight y'all.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          You da man! 👍

As someone who manages interactive web forum sites for academic conferences, I feel so close to our Pitmaster admin team right now.

Comment

Actually, I don’t mind it. It prompted me to check it out which lead me to something new I might not have found!

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I like it too! It’s great. Hopefully after it’s all finished, once you’ve read the announcement (s) the numbers will decrease or go away automatically after each announcement is read.

Agreed.

Comment

In the meantime, you can click "Mark This Channel Read" at the bottom of the page, that will clear the notifications.

Comment

The New Announcements counter is currently disabled until I can figure out a better solution.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Just when I made progress learning how to count. Just Great!!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here