Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd spell check/text replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd spell check/text replacement

I've noticed strange spell check/text replacement while composing replies. Something like type a word, hit backspace, and two or three words get inserted. I won't go further into the symptoms at this this point -- they're too weird.
    Is there a reason why the forum software would affect text editing like this? Or is it 100% on my end? Using a Samsung Tab A with Android 10/Samsung One UI 2.1.

Edit: You might ask "Does this happen on other sites?" It's possible -- but today it's reached the level of Real Irritation. I'll watch for this symptom on other sites, and report back.
    Last edited by SmokingPat; November 14, 2020, 06:28 PM.

The web browser and/or operating system handles spell checking. No spell checking feature on the forum software. That would be very very processor intensive.

Comment

Yep.. It's the autocorrect on your tab/phone pulling yer leg...
      Last edited by Elton's BBQ; November 15, 2020, 03:34 AM. Reason: Autocorrect fubar.. 😆

Comment

One can google ways to turn off / disable auto correct, auto complete, etc. usw., ad nauseum.

Platform specific... drill down.

Comment

I know my voice to text when I'm using my phone here in The Pit acts very wonky. If I go back to make corrections to what it thought I said it adds everything I type to the end of the sentence, I replace the cursor back where it needs to be, type, and again it adds everything at the end. Only happens when I initially use voice to text, and only here in The Pit not in any other web form or regular email or text messages. Technology can be very odd.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I love voice to text when I'm drinking. It corresponds perfectly with .08. "Can I drive home?" becomes "Can eyes dry gnomes"

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            My voice text was doing the same thing, everywhere. I needed to upgrade the browser.

Huskee Yes, the symptom is similar to that. Delete a character at the end, and it pastes a couple of words from earlier in the sentence in it's place.
          Not mentioned before, but I'm using Microsoft Edge and was using Google keyboard (Gboard). I switched over to the Samsung keyboard, and I'll change browsers if needed.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here