Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Messages Button on iPhone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Messages Button on iPhone

The update/move of the "Messages" button in the past ~24 hours has caused it to disappear from the top of the page when using Safari browser on iPhones.

I am also having problems, iPhone 8, when I "click" on recent posts. I am taken there and then get sent back to the "About this website" page.

Comment

Gone on Android as well.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	mobile-navbar.png
Views:	279
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	939218 All of the "topbar" items are now in the "navbar". On mobile that means you have to click the hamburger menu to see them.

Comment

• CaliforniaDad
          CaliforniaDad commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep - I know where to go.

We really should be able to see if we have any pending notifications by simply loading/reloading the page on phone/iPad. Username and avatar briefly flashes on the top right on load, but it's gone before you can see whether there are any pending notifications, so we're stuck with an extra click after load/reload, just to know if anything is pending.

I like the new navigation but I used to get a menu bar in portrait mode on my iPad, but now I get the hamburger menu. If it used to fit, shouldn't it still fit now?

If it really doesn't fit, then the one thing that needs to be addressed is that you no longer get a notification if there are messages or notifications pending. Can we get a number added to the hamburger icon or some other indicator?

Comment

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe change the icon if there are messages.

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          Discussing solutions. Can you simply modify your shortcut?

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't see how changing the shortcut would help. I run boards that use a vBulletin competitor and their hamburger icon has a number the in corner when there are messages. I'll post a picture of something like it below.

Here is an example of picture of a hamburger icon with a number:

Click image for larger version  Name:	icon.png Views:	2 Size:	818 Bytes ID:	941418
        This was an icon I found on the web, here is the actual icon form the other software (the blue is part of the background):

Name:	Screenshot 2020-11-17 095316.png
Views:	120
Size:	511 Bytes
ID:	941439

It doesn't have to be a number that shows the number of messages (but it would be cool). An M instead of a number (or an exclamation mark, or...) would be sufficient to let you know to click the icon.
        Last edited by mgaretz; November 17, 2020, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• CaliforniaDad
          CaliforniaDad commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly! Across every page, there should be no need to click anywhere to know a notification or message is pending. There should be some consistent - constantly present - place where a number like that appears. raywjohnson

• raywjohnson
          raywjohnson commented
          Editing a comment
          Good idea. I will see if Meathead will ok that.

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          If it can be done, let's do it.

Alrighty then!

That was fairly easy to implement.

I did not have much room (the icon is small), but you will see the message count now.

Be sure to refresh!

Name:	msg-count-on-brisket-menu.png
Views:	230
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	941832

Comment

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          We are sooooo lucky to have someone of Ray's skill level.

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

(Am I the only one who's a bigger fan of the white hamburger menu on the red backdrop than red on red?)

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          No you're not.

• raywjohnson
          raywjohnson commented
          Editing a comment
          Done.

Right after changing the hamburger to white things got weird again ... and now seeing this.

Name:	2AC8FF07-26DB-442D-899F-5B312F258417.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	942210

iPhone Xs running iOS 14.2

Comment

• raywjohnson
          raywjohnson commented
          Editing a comment
          That there is a buggy. I will squash it.

• raywjohnson
          raywjohnson commented
          Editing a comment
          That should be fixed. Be sure to do a refresh.

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Cache fresh as a daisy; bug dead as a door nail. Thanks, raywjohnson ..,

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here