Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Membership Button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Membership Button

Just a suggestion here ... but I think that the [My Membership] button should be removed. It is totally redundant since [My Membership] is also available in the USERID pull-down menu. Removing it would free up substantial real estate for both desktop and mobile UI's.

Meathead Along those lines, I’m not getting any tabs showing on my iPad that I’m able to access. I’m having to use the menu drop down box. Is that still being worked on?
    Attached Files

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      If all the tabs can't fit on the screen, the "hamburger" dropdown appears. Depends on screen size.

MBMorgan We will be deleting the dropdown at the top.I want all the most imoortant links on the navbar. Work in progress.

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info ...

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I think we want the most used links in the nav bar.

The only thing constant is change.

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Way off base. We have made few changes over the years and now, with the member survey in hand, we have a plan and we are working it. Not quite done yet. But I guarantee things will be better.

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Look at the World around us.

Attjack Yes, we want the most used and the most important. Recipes, Show Us, Recent Posts, My Posts, and Search are all very popular. Announcements are VERY important. It is our best way to communicate with you. My Membership doesn't get used often, but we get a lot of email asking "how do I change my credit card (email, avatar, etc.)." This needs to be prominent. All membership websites have this prominent. It is an important part of customer service. Messages will be moved there tonight I home. Not used a lot, but important. Once it is moved, we will remove the red bar at the very top. This saves a small bit of space, but gets the most important links all on one navbar.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll never click "announcements" so it's not a good way to communicate with me. A sticky makes far more sense as I will actually see it and click the link if it sounds relevant to me. I think the red bar at the top is where all the important but infrequent links should live. Prominent but out of the way of those engaging in frequent daily use of your website.
      Last edited by Attjack; November 12, 2020, 05:04 PM.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      The Nav Bar in my opinion should be a convenient place to find the links people tend to use every day. That said you can set it up however you like and I'll adjust and use it how I like.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      BTW, I had to post the last 2 sentences separately because we are only allowed 500 words in a response. That's not that much! Also, it would be great if I could post pics in a response. But I don't know if that's possible with the software you use.

Attjack With this new button I am begging you and others to click occasionally. There is important news there. Take a look.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Just telling it like it is. In real life, an announcement is made by getting everyone's attention perhaps by standing up and hitting your glass with a fork and waiting until everyone has your attention. No one goes to check with Uncle Carl to see if he has an announcement. That's why I think using stickies for announcements makes more sense.

Attjack I think that a new post is better than a comment. No limit on characters, you can add pix, and other people on the thread can be notified. Comments don't generate and email to others on the thread (I think). Comments are for a quick comment.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Comments do generate a notice to the person whose reply they're commenting on. Main posts (replies) don't send a notice unless you're subscribed to that topic or the poster mentions someone.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      If it wouldn’t be a big deal, I’d like that ability as well, posting pics in comments. Sometimes you want to answer someone with a pic, and then with a new "reply" it could be 4 or 5 posts after where you would like it to be. And you’re not answering directly after the question. This way if possible , you could come in at any time and still be directly under the original question. Not a huge deal, but it would be nice. Attjack gave a perfect example of why this would help.
      Last edited by Panhead John; November 12, 2020, 08:10 PM.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John I would too. But you can share wow the person and shatter the pic in a main post, then they'll get a notification without having to 'mention' them.

EDIT: WOW! I didn't even notice my own auto correct fail. I mean to say You can *quote* the person and share your pic in a main post (reply) and they'll get a notification when you quote them. Panhead John

Attjack What would you suggest we add to the navbar. I just might do it. Then again, might not.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I would do this:

Recent Posts - Channels - My Posts - Show Us - Recipes Only - Announcements - Help

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      FWIW...
      Recent posts & messages are the two must haves IMO.
      I ALWAYS check "Recent Posts" but only AFTER I’ve checked "Messages/Notifications" to see updates to anything that I’ve posted on or am following.
      Last edited by surfdog; November 12, 2020, 08:26 PM. Reason: Clarity

Attjack Help MUST be first. MUST. So much useful info in there and wait til you see how we plan to re-do it. We need more members to spend more time in there. So many people ask questions that are right there. Channels are in BIG BOLD LETTERS in the masthead and in the "breadcrumbs" beneathe the masthead. I am strictly opposed due to year of experimenting with user interface design to having two links to the same thing right near each other (started building sites before ther was a www in the 90s and was a manager at AOL when it ruled the world). We will add Messages. Other than that we are in agreement.

Also, some UI changes to the Search system.

Comment

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      Is messages in the navbar going to show you if you have any new messages like the current one in the top menu does?

Channels may be in big bold letters, but it's in a banner and most of us ignore banners out of habit as they are usually ads. You know how long I have been on this site and I *never* noticed there was a channels link there!

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, but the only 2 things I actually care about are recent posts and channels. I also like messages up top with red icon the appears when you have a notification. So 3 things. 3 things that I use every day. The rest I don't use except maybe on rare occasions.

Also, I do not like the drop-down menu on mobile because it takes twice the clicking to get to recent posts (and channels if it was there).

Comment

Speaking of drop down menus the messages drop down should be one click that takes you to the message center instead of a drop down. Less clicks is more efficient.

Comment

Attjack With all due respect, I urge you to occasionally click on Announcements. And as I have said before and I repeat again. We are in the middle of a suite of improvements and I think that when we are done most members will find them to be an improvement.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds good. My suggestion of using stickies is something I'm telling you because it sounds like the announcements are important and I believe stickies would bring 10 times or more eyes to your announcements.

I don't think comments are included in searches either. I think they should be used for short replies. Real responses, with pix etc should be posts.

Comment

Just like Attjack I appreciate that there are important things that may be posted in Announcement but I will tell you there is a 99.9% likelihood I will never click on the Announcement tabs.

For me personally, I pretty much only use the Recent Posts and the Notification Center (assuming I can see an icon of how many new messages I have). I likely would never click on the other links unless specifically directed there for some reason. That is why I agree that a sticky on the top of the message board (as long as the stickies don't cover the entirety of the first page like other sites) or even a new post with a link to Announcements is the best chance to have me go there, not all that different from the Sneak Peek posts. Doesn't need to repeat itself but a "New Announcement" followed up a link would be enough

Comment

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            I can only say that you will one day miss out on something.

This is looking much better! Almost perect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	w7yMx0w.png
Views:	219
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	938973

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh man, I thought they were honoring me by putting my name on the button bar. You just burst my proverbial balloon Attjack

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            Still not done.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here