Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Website Change and iPad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website Change and iPad

Hi guys .... until yesterday, when I was on Pitmaster on my iPad it was bringing up the desktop website. I have my Safari setting to "request desktop website" and it works great. Suddenly, starting yesterday, I am only getting the mobile website on my iPad. I much prefer the desktop website. Is there something changed in the settings so that my iPad is forced to mobile?

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
    Hi guys .... until yesterday, when I was on Pitmaster on my iPad it was bringing up the desktop website. I have my Safari setting to "request desktop website" and it works great. Suddenly, starting yesterday, I am only getting the mobile website on my iPad. I much prefer the desktop website. Is there something changed in the settings so that my iPad is forced to mobile?
    What ipadOS version are you on?

this is what I see In iPadOS 14:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2273C890-05C0-4F15-B290-7AD974D16905.jpeg
Views:	311
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	935915
    Last edited by rickgregory; November 8, 2020, 02:09 PM.

Comment

rickgregory I’m on 14.1. And yesterday I was also. That view is the mobile website. Yesterday I saw the desktop website. Today I’m getting the mobile.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        You mean because of the menu change? That seems related to the width of the viewport (I can narrow my browser window and get it).

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        No, this isn’t due to the menu change. As GolfGeezer, you can tell the difference by the position of the menus and tabs. In the Desktop version, the menu/tabs are a bar across the top, not in a drop down menu

rickgregory You can see the difference in your screenshot. The top nav bar does not show the tabs. The 3 bars in the upper left red area has to be clicked to see a drop down that includes tabs like Recent Posts, or Recipes, etc.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah that seems to be driven by the width of the browser window - at about 1200 pixels, it changes and most iPads are less than that across. Ray could alter it/refine it to account for things but having the menu wrap is meh too. There are other solutions to that though. But I don't know how easy or hard the forum software makes it to alter the CSS.

raywjohnson - if you want examples of alternate nav solutions https://responsivenavigation.net is great. The grid solution might work well here.

Comment

• raywjohnson
        raywjohnson commented
        Editing a comment
        This is not a tech issue. It is a management decision.

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Work in progress.

I just now posted this same problem I was having on my iPad, at another post. I also have the latest firmware from Apple installed. Before all the recent changes I had menu tabs at the top for easy access. Now I have to click the menu icon y’all are talking about, for the drop down box to appear.
      Attached Files

Comment

Meathead just responded to my previous post. They will be deleting the menu drop down box and putting the most important links on the navigation bar. It’s still a work in progress.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Panhead John; November 8, 2020, 03:13 PM.

Comment

We are putting all the important buttons on the tab bar. If your screen is too narrow for all the tabs to show, the dropdown menu replaces it.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I was getting the tabs at the navigation bar before the changes, on my iPad. When this is all over, should I still get the tabs at the top? Instead of the menu box?

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, you're doing that at around 1200px which means that you're doing it on iPads etc. There are other options for tablets etc (see above link) which may or may not be hard to implement.

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            wait please. work in progress. but yes, if your screen is too narrow for all the tabs they will become a dropdown

This is what you see even on a desktop browser as you narrow the screen. the conversion from a full menu to the hamburger one is at about 1100px, not 1200. There are other approaches to this for those widths that are not quite wide enough for all the tabs but which are too wide for a mobile menu to make sense. Off to the store but I'll code some examples later.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pitmaster menu example.gif Views:	0 Size:	2.35 MB ID:	935980
          Last edited by rickgregory; November 8, 2020, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a 'hamburger' menu because of the 3 lines... bottom bun, burger, top bun!

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            We are not done with this. Type will get smalleer so it will change at less and 1100

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            GREAT GRAPHIC!

Meathead - this might be what you're talking about but here's an approach that maintains the menu to a much narrower width. Also, I'd think about removing Messages altogether since it's also right there at the top:

raywjohnson Let me know if you'd like the CSS that does this. Also, I had to disable Javascript to do this. You'd need to change the breakpoint where the mobile menu appears if you used the CSS I created.

Click image for larger version  Name:	alternate pit menu.gif Views:	0 Size:	2.41 MB ID:	936099

Comment

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice work on the CSS! We asre removing the items along the top.

• raywjohnson
            raywjohnson commented
            Editing a comment
            I know the sizing is off. But changes to the nav bar are not complete. Once complete, I will fix the responsive sizing issue.

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool. Let me know if you'd like any CSS sanity checks.

Meathead raywjohnson FWIW I would prefer that an iPad would have a menu bar of tabs across the top to the hamburger menu that is mobile like. For what the input is worth.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree. Tons of iPad and tablet users here.

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            The problem is that they start to wrap badly. As I noted, there's a couple of solutions, see above.

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            I use an iPad too.

I think you guys have discovered my secret plan to piss off so many people they will all quit and the company will go broke.

Seriously. Can you cut me some slack. This is a work in progress by a small team.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Meathead, I love this place. You haven’t pissed me off at all. I’m trying to just provide feedback on what I find works well, is all.

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Same. We're trying to help. If you'd rather not have more feedback, that's fine. We can wait.

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Meathead All these comments were nice and friendly, no animosity at all. You did ask for detailed help and we’re trying to give it. No need to get pissed at us. How about answering this way....Ok, I’ve seen all your comments and suggestions, and we are aware of this. Please give us a few days and we should have this all straightened out. Or whatever. If you’ll just come out and say this will take x amount of time, we’re fine with that.

Change is hard! But after a few months we have the new norm and nobody remembers the misty water colored memories.

Comment

First - I understand this is a work in progress, and not bashing it. Just want to put another data point out there.

I am on an iPad Pro 12.9", which has a 2732 x 2048 resolution screen. So it is WAY above 1200 pixels wide in either orientation, but as of today anyway, in portrait mode (my normal browsing view), it now shows the hamburger menu, and not the horizontal menu. It only shows "normal" when I rotate to landscape orientation.

As a comparison, I am typing this on a Windows 10 laptop with a 1920x1080 screen, and get the normal horizontal menus when the browser window is full screen. If I narrow the window gradually, somewhere around 2/3 of the screen width it switches to the same hamburger menu as the iPad in portrait mode.

So this is not a mobile thing at all - its just the vBulletin template/theme/whatever making the decision to switch the menu when it gets down to a certain window width. Also probably dependant on screen scaling settings on your computer or tablet. It's not a big deal, and for right now, my fix at least is to use my iPad in landscape mode if the menu change bothers me.

Comment

Folks, I am humping. Trying to get the work done. Please stop making me respond to complaints about a work in progress. Please relax and wait a day or two. When I am done I will ask for feedback.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here