Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new SUWYC format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new SUWYC format

In my entire membership I've never posted a complaint here and don't want to be a pain in the _ss but I do have to say that I do not like the new format for SUWYC. Specifically I mean that each post is separate and we can no longer navigate to the thread and scroll through all the posts. Making each one separate, in my opinion, diminishes the community feel that the thread has always had. It's also a pain to navigate back and forth, but that is not nearly as important to me as the community aspect.

I suspect it will slowly evolve into something we're all comfortable and maybe even happy with I was comfortable with the old format and def agree the "community feel" with that format, but maybe what we end up with will work better for everyone? I try to stay optimistic.

Comment

I just recently posted a pic of my latest creation and now that thread is gone..What's going on?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201107-160642_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	934992
      Last edited by Elton's BBQ; November 7, 2020, 09:08 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Reckon I'd try to cook summat more worthy, next time, Brother LOL!

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yessire Meathead i did.. I was on my phone so i didn't read it until i checked my computer..

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha yeah Mr. Bones i better step up

So now, there is a SUWYC - Fall 2020 thread, but it's not really the SUWYC Thread. It's Panhead John 's "let's make fun of your cooks" thread incorrectly renamed. The dozens of pages of real SUWYC Fall 2020 posts are still gone. Presumably forever. I'm sorry, but this is really FUBAR. This is what happens when you try to "fix" something that wasn't broken to begin with.
      Last edited by Dewesq55; November 7, 2020, 09:17 AM.

Comment

I agree. I posted the same thought last night in the thread about the changes, but deleted it a few minutes later. I know the moderators and Meathead are making changes over a few days, so I thought I would wait a bit. But, I like the previous way it was set up, using rolling posts in the one thread for it, not how it’s set up now under it’s on SubChannel.

I also realize it’s part of change and trying to make things better here. But, I don’t think that particular change made anything better. It’s not just one click away, it’s multiple clicks back and forth now and takes away from the community feel you mention. I like how you presented it in that way.

I’m all for trying new things, but I think this particular change is a miss. Seeing others post shows I’m not the only one. Perhaps the changes haven’t been completed, so I’ll give it some time or give it some time to see how this works out.

Regardless, I do understand that amount of time it takes to keep this site going and providing all the benefits and great reading, it’s a community of good peeps here doing that on a platform set up by the ones running the joint. So thank you!

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree that it's a lot of work and they are good people trying hard to keep the site running, and to make it better where it needs improvement. But if something is screwed up, it's screwed up, regardless if the person, or persons screwing it up are good people with good intentions.

Just checked my e-mail and it seems like the thread har been deleted by accident..
        And i can live with that without any problems.
        Hopefully they get things up'n running soon.

Comment

I personally think the new format is awesome. I never used the old thread because it took a while to load and I wasn't always interested in every single cook. Big improvement.
          Meathead
          Last edited by STEbbq; November 7, 2020, 10:21 AM.

Comment

As I have said repeatedly over the last 24 hours, this is a work in progress and if you are patient things will get better and I think you will like the changes. The alternative was to shut down some channels while the work was going on, but I chose not to do that. See if things are working better for you now.

Comment

Elton's BBQ I accidentally deleted 6 posts this morning in SUWYC sub-channel. I immediately sent the authors an email apologizing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 7.40.51 AM.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	935026

Here's what happened to them

That was an accident. My bad. The issue was that they should have been posted WITHIN this topic "Show Us What You're Cooking - 2020"
              https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...e-cooking-2020

The were loose outside the topic at the sub-channel level because I had failed to block that. I tried to move them into the 2020 channel and poof, they disappeared. My sincere apologies. I should stick to brisket. It's easier.

Please re-post it in the sub-channel.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
                Elton's BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                No problem Meathead.. I thought everything was up and running since the "new" Show Us bar was up on the menu.
                I'll sit quiet in the boat and wait til all is good.
                Thanks for the work you guy's do.
                Last edited by Elton's BBQ; November 7, 2020, 11:03 AM.

I’m just hoping we can get all of those old SUWYC posts back into the Show Us sub-channel ..... oh, and the Panhead John thread is actually a satire thread :-)

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Satire thread? I think most of those comments people made were true and heartfelt.

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Panhead John you are my fav satire account ;-)

I think the Show Us section is fixed now. Lemme know.

Comment

Meat Head Sorry, still the same thing is happening. When you click on "show us" , here’s where it goes. A month or so ago I started a post called "Show Us What You’re Cooking So We Can Make Fun of It". This is what is showing up now when you click SUWYC 2020. That post was entirely different from the real SUWYC. Hope this helps.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Panhead John; November 7, 2020, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've been saying this til in blue in the face, but it just doesn't seem to be getting through.

When you click Show Us it takes you to the list of Show Us threads. You can click on whatever you want.

I have just renamed the spoof thread. I did not realize that's what it was, and sorry guys, Panhead John is the only one who has been telling the doctor what he needs to know to fix things. Thank you Panhead. So far most everything I am getting is whining about work in progress.

Here's my problem: I can't find any more Show Us threads. Ray can't find them either. So if I can't find them, I can't touch them so I didn't delete them. If some of you can help me find them I would be grateful.

Comment

"Whining?" Wow. That's a startlingly less-than gracious thing to say to people who are fiercely loyal to you. How much more specific can we be other than to say we liked the continuous scroll version better than the discreet post version? It's not a personal attack, we're expressing a preference.

Comment

• Meathead
                    Meathead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well I have been staying up late busting ass to make things better and all I get is complaints. I keep telling people that this is a work in progress. All I get is complaints and you have been pretty vocal. Not until today did I get actionable info about where the recent SUWYC info is so I can take action. I define that as whining. Oh and BTW, fiercely loyal might be applied to the owner of this site, too.
                    Last edited by Meathead; November 7, 2020, 07:04 PM.

• hoovarmin
                    hoovarmin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You are loyal to us, that is certain. I didn't like the comment but it doesn't change my admiration and gratitude to you for all you do for us.

• Meathead
                    Meathead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am not seeking praise. I am seeking help.

OK, thanks to several members who held my hand and showed me the way outta the woods! I think we are fixed!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here