Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tracking by Facebook and others on AmazingRibs.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tracking by Facebook and others on AmazingRibs.com

Apple's new MacOS that I am beta testing now shows sites that track users when the using the new Safari browser. Now, many sites track to understand statistics, but this site also allows Facebook to track us. And Facebook is notorious for tracking non-members and not doing it anonymously. Here is what Safari shows when arriving at this site.
    Attached Files

I would be okay with facebook just going away.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      oh please!

I’m confident that AR is a reasonably good steward of my data, but I acknowledge that the big data conglomerates attempt to track my activity on AR. I’m an advocate for deleting all large scale social media, cancelling Amazon, and turning off notifications for everything except phone calls... and fireboard lol

I’m glad that phone manufacturers are allowing end users some tools to restrict tracking.

Comment

Use duckduckgo and you will be OK.

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Add the DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials extension while your at it.

The new Safari identified these trackers, but also blocked them.

Comment

For information.

For those that are just now getting feedback (from updated browsers) on trackers, you will discover that you are tracked all over the web. The main culprits are Google, Facebook, Amazon, and Double Click.

I use (and have used) uBlock Origin (plugin/add-on) for years. It blocks the trackers. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ublock-origin/

For Apple/iOS/iPhone (Safari), you might try Ghostery https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ghoste...er/id472789016

I strongly suggest implementing a 3rd party blocker. Why? Because the big corp that created your browser will, at some point, take payment from Google, Facebook, Amazon, and Double Click to NOT block those trackers (cookies).

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          well, no, because the big company that make my browser is Apple.

people who use Chrome, though... uh... yeah

What does that have to do with AR?

I just figure if I’m on the Dub-ya some one is always watching.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          tbob4 I was worried about the photos. Steve B I can’t rest. You scare me. 😃

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh - I have the photos in a blackmail folder. Lets just say I know you sometimes buy Choice and pass it off here as Prime with frosting and a toothpick paintbrush! I also know you were in Long Beach a month ago with your mask just below your nose.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          tbob4 dammit!

Since you live in California https://www.oag.ca.gov/privacy/ccpa

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. I fully get the slippery slope thing and the negative aspects of congregating info on a soul.
          I’m in the minority but I like the targeted adds. I’m not a window shopper. I opt out of tons of things with great success and I’m pretty much fine tuned by the sellers although some stuff is a real stretch. Wanna get rid of it all?Fine by me too.

The criminals will always be present.

“Generally, businesses cannot discriminate
          against you for exercising your rights under the CCPA.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          I got cut off for rambling again. Yeah the bad guys suck!! Big Corp just does it better and legally.

You kids and that rock n roll!

Just one of the many reasons I deleted FB and Instagram. I also agree with Duck Duck Go. I also use Smart Pages Also considering a VPN.

Comment

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          There are many benefits to using a VPN. My VPN allows my to choose server location when logging in. I use this to access BBC that is geo-blocked. They have some great music studio films you can't access if you don't live in England.

I'm one of the few in my generation advocating for "social" media to go away. In my mind its a definite net negative for society. The crazy thing is...most people acknowledge that its no good but say "meh...is what it is.."

Also...GET OFF MY LAWN!

My mom says I'm prematurely old

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Darn kids and their music...

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here