Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just A Few Little Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just A Few Little Ideas

Just A Few Little Ideas

It got me thinking when I saw a thread about members getting emails with a survey in it.

Here are a few suggestions.

1. The Channels Page. The dividers between sections are so big that it is hard to take in the whole structure and figure out where things are. It would be nice if there were a more compact view available.

2. There aren't any smileys/emoticons. It is said a picture is worth a thousand words. Also, it can help to avoid misunderstandings, eg. by making it clear that a comment is in jest.

3. I can't seem to paste pics from online, unless I DL them and then upload them with the button. It would be kind of nice to be able to.

None of these are a big deal but since you asked.

1. I might be able to create a way to switch to a compact view. But would need approval from Mh to proceed

2. There are smilies. You can select them here:

Click image for larger version  Name:	smilies.png Views:	0 Size:	75.0 KB ID:	913400

3. Pasted images make the post and url huge.

Due to limits set for post size, and the server limit to URL length.

When an image is pasted to a post, the binary data is converted to base64 data (string/text).

Most images that are pasted are huge, many MB (1,000,000) and are greater than the 1K (100,000) character limit (after conversion).

Even if I upped that limit, the server would still block it as now the URL contains the entire base64 string.

These limits are for security and to reduce server load.

Allowing a URL to be greater than 1K long is just an invitation for hackers to attack the server.

Comment

Thanks, I had no idea about the smileys.

I totally get it about the pics.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        All right now take it easy on the smileys you're using up my bandwidth.

• zzdocxx
        zzdocxx commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahaha I hear you.

Regarding the emojis if you're using Windows 10 and are up to date with patches and updates, try WIN+. (Windows key and period key). This combo should work in any text field presented on your computer.
      (❁´◡`❁)

Click image for larger version

Name:	win10emojis.png
Views:	180
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	913525

Comment

• zzdocxx
        zzdocxx commented
        Editing a comment
        Totally cool, I was unaware of that.
        👍
        That's what I'm talking about.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here