Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VPN not supported when Paying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPN not supported when Paying

When using the security of a VPN connection your payment tool does not appear. I had to leave my vpn connection to enter credit card info which defeats the security of VPN. Maybe a click and Clack dope slap to your web designer?

We take security very seriously. To hopefully help ease your mind some, here is some info on the security measures of Stripe, our payment handler. (And in nearly 6 yrs and many thousands of members there's never once been a breach of security here regarding our payment system w/ Stripe). https://stripe.com/docs/security/stripe

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. Glad ya got through...

Comment

Originally posted by MauleGuy View Post
        When using the security of a VPN connection your payment tool does not appear. I had to leave my vpn connection to enter credit card info which defeats the security of VPN. Maybe a click and Clack dope slap to your web designer?
        You don't need a VPN for payment security. You need an SSL cert so that the comms are encrypted. Guess what? The entire site is served via SSL. A VPN adds nothing over and above that.

Comment

Since I am the person that you think needs a "click and Clack dope slap", I can help you with this.

Nothing on this site prevents the VPN from using the payment page and stripe payment portal. Yours is the first complaint since I setup the payment page and portal (about 3 years ago).

I would suggest that you check all your VNP and browser settings (and especially plugins) to ensure that your system (or the VPN) is not blocking the Stripe payment portal.

You say "your payment tool does not appear", does the page show? Are there any error messages? Does the Display Payment Form button show? Did you click that? If you did, was there any message?

I need this info to validate and verify any possible issue.

I will also be verifying with Stripe to ensure this is not a problem with them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	join-pay-page.png Views:	0 Size:	334.4 KB ID:	872937

Comment

Have no idea what was going on but Chrome and VPN coupled w/ Kaspersky Total Security can do strange things.

I know there are a number of sites I just cannot reach w/ VPN. Once I registered and paid I can access the site just fine.

Apologies Ray if my system was the culprit

rickgregory: As I understand it SSL is great once the 1's and 0's get to the site, VPN adds security between me and the site.

Comment

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              So the industry is moving away from the term SSL and towards TLS. Same technology, different name. SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer versus TLS which is Transport Layer Security. The whole point of TLS is that your system and the endpoint you're trying to reach perform a handshake during which an encryption method and a secure key exchange takes place. Once that process is complete, every single packet sent back and forth between your system and the endpoint is encrypted. Period. 1/2

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              2/2. A VPN does not significantly improve this security in anyway. I've worked in enterprise security, specifically dealing with Public Key Infrastructure which the infrastructure that issues and manages digital certificates of all shapes and forms including TLS/SSL certs for over 25 year so I have some level of experience and knowledge in this space.

I understand. Security is a PITA, but worth the extra effort.

I would like to discover the cause so I can use that knowledge to assist in the future.

I suspect that either Kaspersky Total Security (or the VPN) spotted something that it thought was an issue and blocked it.

Since the scripts are pulled from a 3rd party (Stripe.com), they can get flagged by security.

Comment

rickgregory: As I understand it SSL is great once the 1's and 0's get to the site, VPN adds security between me and the site.
              SSL encrypts the entire session between you and the site.

A VPN adds nothing in terms of traffic security, BUT it shields all of the traffic including your DNS lookups and IP address from anyone even your ISP. This means that your ISP (say, Comcast) not only can't see the traffic from you to here (which SSL does by itself) but they can't even see that you came here.

Also, VPNs typically alter your IP address. IP addresses can be used to geolocate you. That has benign uses (when you're using a map website and it starts in your region, that's how). But it also can be used for regional protection, i.e. it's how sports leagues offer things to people in, say, the US but not Canada. When a VPN changes your IP, that new IP is your 'exit IP' (it's where your traffic exits the VPN network and is again public).

Now... many services figure out the various VPN exit IPs and while they can't see who you are etc they will block you if you come from those services. Stripe might do this because of local payment processing laws.

TLDR: You're perfectly safe paying here without the VPN. The SSL encrypts all of your traffic between you and any SSL protected site. Traffic from the site to Stripe also uses SSL and the site should not store credit cards, so you don't have to worry about that.

I'd try coming here without the VPN and seeing if that works.

BTW - don't simply add more and more security stuff without understanding what each piece does. You want things that complement each other, but usually if they duplicate functions, weird crap happens (that's a technical term...)
              Last edited by rickgregory; July 2, 2020, 06:34 PM.

Comment

I agree totally with what everybody said! Yessir. 🕶

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                  ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  need to try a little harder, I saw right through your fake spammer tactics

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here