Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion for last unread post link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion for last unread post link

Is it possible to set the main topic link (now the topic title) to go the last unread post instead of the first post (it will be the first post if the topic hasn't been read). The little gray arrows that got to the last unread post are hard to touch when viewing on a tablet and especially the phone. IPB works this way, so I would think vBulletin has this option or there's a mod available.

This change is possible, but I think the standard is "go to first unread post" -- logical too. I would want to start reading from where I left off. However, it might be possible to make this a preference in your settings. So each to his/her own.

Might be better (and would be much easier) to make the "little gray arrows" bigger on small devices. Would that work?

I think you mean these two arrows?

Click image for larger version  Name:	little-gray-arrows.png Views:	0 Size:	19.3 KB ID:	864366

Comment

This is the little gray arrow I am talking about:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-06-17 214106.png
Views:	216
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	864502

I just want the topic title link to link to the last unread post instead of the first post in a topic like it does now. You rarely need to go back to the first post, and the only time you mostly need to go there is if you haven't read the topic, in which case the link *still* goes to the first post. So one link serves two purposes. Plus, it's easy to click on all devices so you don't need to make any device specific changes.

Comment

• fcy
        fcy commented
        Editing a comment
        I did not know about this wonderful arrow! But +1 I think going to the newest unread post is the better default

Seems like the template code just needs to add

?goto=newpost

to the end of the url, and you could delete the code that adds the down arrow if you want since it's redundant.

Comment

Ok! I see the little button (go to new unread post). I did not understand your original question. Now I get it!

I prefer to not edit the templates directly. That creates a huge pain when upgrading. I have to manually check any previously edited templates and merge as needed. However, I might be able to do this with Javascript. I will see what I can do.

Comment

Alrighty then! Javascript to the rescue. Give it a test...

Comment

• mgaretz
            mgaretz commented
            Editing a comment
            Seems to work great! Thanks!

Hey thanks for the info on the little arrow. I'm cautious about clicking on those little things !

Comment

For those that don't know here's some useful identifiers with post titles displayed in any channel or the Recent Posts results page:

Bold, blue font title = a new topic you have not visited or read recently
            Regular/thin red font = You've visited it and there's nothing new in it
            Bold, red font title = you've visited it recently but there's new posts in it

Sometimes you'll see Bold Blue font in a topic that you have visited, I suspect there's a cutoff where the software thinks it's been long enough since you've been there so it counts it as unvisited after a certain point. As a general rule however, the above applies to most topics.

Then there's these handy tidbits:

Click image for larger version  Name:	post indentifiers.JPG Views:	0 Size:	97.6 KB ID:	864596

#1 = the green arrow in that blue page symbol tells you you've commented in this topic at some point
            #2 = no green arrow, just a blue page symbol, you've not commented in this topic
            #3 = this little button in front of the topic title takes you to your first unread post in that topic, in other words where you last left off. If unvisited it's the first post of course, same as clicking the title.
            #4 = this red button takes you to the very last (aka most current/newest) post in that topic, whether you've visited it before or not.

And of course clicking the title simply takes you to the first post in it.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks!

• mgaretz
              mgaretz commented
              Editing a comment
              But now clicking the title takes you to the last unread post, which will be the first post if you haven’t read anything in the topic yet.

Update. I have made slight change to this function. Made the "Go to New Post" button a little larger (easier to get to). And only mgaretz will have the title links change to "Go to New Posts". For every one else, the original functionality, "Go to first post".

Comment

• mgaretz
              mgaretz commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. I guess I was the only one who liked it. Strange because many other boards I am on work this way.

• PBCDad
              PBCDad commented
              Editing a comment
              I liked it too. Were people complaining?

• raywjohnson
              raywjohnson commented
              Editing a comment
              I set this up so that each member can enable or disable it.
              Go to: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/settings/profile
              Scroll to the bottom, select Enable under: Link to New Unread Post
              Enjoy!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here