Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Geopgraphic Location Forum recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Geopgraphic Location Forum recommendation

Folks,

Would anyone see any value in a New Forum in The Pit that was setup to connect people Geographically? I know there is already a "Member Gatherings" forum however I think there may be a more effective way to set this up. "BBQ Restaurant Roundup" and "Know a Good Butcher" are setup with Sub-Forums by State.

I personally think it would be helpful if "Member Gatherings" or a new forum was setup this way. My thought is it would make it a little easier to geographically connect with other Pitmaster Club members and better arrange gatherings or whatever. You could obviously also check in with surrounding states or whatever. For instance if you live in the Northwestern part of Indiana you may be interested in checking out what is going on in Illinois around the Chicago area. But at least this may provide a little easier avenue to organize.

For instance if there was a Sub-Forum setup for Indiana I would probably have a thread for Southwestern Indiana since that is where I reside and would love connecting with other folks and arranging gatherings for the area. This is all provided there are other folks in my area which at this moment I am not sure how to tell if there are without creating a thread and hoping everyone sees or finds it.

Thoughts?

Maybe I missed the mark on this one.

Comment

Nate we've in the past talked about creating a map of the globe that has a pin for the general location of each member. It's on the "to do" list but there's so many other things we have to address first that we can't commit to a timeline yet. I like your idea though and this will happen!

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Boss. It was just a thought. Think it would be good to connect with folks. Also a fan of the convention idea.

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        All in good time

There is a problem with this and that is privacy. Not everybody wants people to know where they are. Like TexasJoeBillyBob who lives in Brooklyn.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
        Steve Vojtek commented
        Editing a comment
        What about an option to not display one's location in user settings? Just a thought.

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        That's why we use pins. They're anonymous. If members want to opt in with their contact info they can turn on the feature.

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        David Parrish and Meathead , Believe me I understand and respect the privacy thing. I definitely wouldn't want someone to just publish my info. I would definitely want anything like that to be voluntary. In the case of just creating the sub-forums thought it was more of being able to go to a state tab and see that ABC BBQ was hosting a night for pit members, being able to announce maybe a competition in the area and invite, etc... I was just trying to think of something that would make it a little easier if you were wanting to organize or find something going on in your area. Something that would make it easy to search and find. It would be up to the individual members if they chose to join the discussion, show up, get involved, etc...

Again thank you for allowing us to have a suggestions tabs and vet stuff like this. It is good to know you value our input and make this a great environment for us.

Virtual Weber does something like that for there smoke day.don't have to put much info in the locator.
      i would love to have someone in The middle of nowhere here to have weekend que fests with. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Nate
        David Parrish and Meathead , Believe me I understand and respect the privacy thing. I definitely wouldn't want someone to just publish my info. I would definitely want anything like that to be voluntary. In the case of just creating the sub-forums thought it was more of being able to go to a state tab and see that ABC BBQ was hosting a night for pit members, being able to announce maybe a competition in the area and invite, etc... I was just trying to think of something that would make it a little easier if you were wanting to organize or find something going on in your area. Something that would make it easy to search and find. It would be up to the individual members if they chose to join the discussion, show up, get involved, etc...

Again thank you for allowing us to have a suggestions tabs and vet stuff like this. It is good to know you value our input and make this a great environment for us.l
        I don't think we have the kind of activity needed to have that many sub channels. We COULD possibly combine the Restaurant Roundup, Know your Butcher, and Member Gatherings channels together with sub-channels for each state/country.

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey whatever you guys think is best. I'm sticking around either way. Like I said it was just a thought that hit me when I was working on a BBQ cook off I am trying to help organize for a local festival and got to wondering if there were any other members in my area. Thanks Boss

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here