Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipes on the lighter side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipes on the lighter side

I do not want sound like a barbecue heretic but I was wondering if there was any thought of providing a channel with recipes that are less dense in calories. I am as beef loving as any red blooded Texan but it would be nice to go to a section that provides this option.

What did you have in mind? Vegetables are almost always low calorie (leaving out the starches like potatoes and corn). Treated properly seafood and chicken are usually good options. After that...

Comment

Great idea! I will forward this idea on to the recipe developers- typically Meathead (of course), Max, and Clint. Sometimes Dave. (I stopped making 'recipes' at 4 sauces and 2 rubs, which aren't even published, hmmm need to up my game I guess)

Comment

• jecucolo
        jecucolo commented
        Editing a comment
        I know that it is usually a matter of quantity but providing calories per serving is a good way of controlling the amount eaten. Anyway thanks for considering it.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        jecucolo We're working on getting Nutrition Facts into the recipes. There are some nice updates coming hopefully late summer or early fall. I did pass on your idea of a lighter-fare section. It may already exist in some form but I couldn't find it if so. We talk more about paleo and keto (albeit not extensively) than low-cal.

I would say chicken, fish and lean pork cuts like chops and tender loin and lean beef cuts like Tri-tip, flank steak etc. It is the sauces and rubs that will add the calories to your serving. Keep to about 4 oz.which is about you palms worth which a dietician friend once told me as long as it is not 2" thick. LOL Seiously add herbs and spices to add flavor. Stay away from sugar in any rubs, you don't need it.

Comment

We are in the process of migrating the entire free portion of the website from a Drupal platform to WordPress. In WordPress we are installing a recipe module that will allow us to do this. It will also allow you to scale recipes and convert to metric. Hopefully we will be done by end of the year.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds great!! I do love salads. Just in case you didn’t know that. Love the scale option.

Excellent idea sir!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here