Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red screen on entering a comment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red screen on entering a comment

For the last 3 days when I enter a comment a red screen pops up with an error message that I have exceeded the allowed number of characters. HELP

raywjohnson

Comment

I think I found the problem. I will be working on a solution.

The system seems to be keeping track of your comment characters over more than one comment.

So if you post 3 comments on the same page, and go over the 500 total for all three comments, you get the error.

A temp fix is to be sure an refresh the page to clear the total.

Comment

Rats! That was not it.

Ok. First thing. Try a refresh. (CTRL+F5 on Linux/Windows, CMD+R on Apple).

Might be a corrupted or outdated javascript file.

Next. Let me know what OS and browser (iPhone, Android, Linux, Windows) / (Safari, Chrome, Firefox)

Comment

raywjohnson I am running Windows using Microsoft Edge.

Comment

One! Two! Punch! Knock out....

Yikes. Ok. I am very much not a fan of MS IE/Edge. Bad mojo. My opinion only.

If you do not mind doing me a favor, install either Chrome or Firefox, login, try the comments function again.

Comment

I am getting the same error window when posting a Reply as well. MS Edge. I'll try Firefox. This just started for me this morning. Worked fine yesterday or maybe Saturday.

Comment

I like IE aand Edge plus if I go to one of the others I will lose my pinned sites and task bar add ons. I have been using IE for 35 years and know it inside and out. I tried downloading Chrome and am on Firefox.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                mountainsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                No red screen, I guess I am stuck with Firefox. Let me know if you get the bug out that causes the red screen in MS IE Edge. I mean it is something that just happened mid of last week.

• mountainsmoker
                mountainsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                I have been using IE and Edge for a while, so why did this come up last week. I would really like to go back to them as I can make them sing.

• rickgregory
                rickgregory commented
                Editing a comment
                Edge should be fine if it's up to date. It uses the same code to render pages as Chrome now. Just check and update.

IE is years out of date and not being updated. Not recommended.

I get it occasionally when commenting on a post using safari on an iPad. First with the second to last iOS update, and now with the latest.

Comment

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                MBMorgan It doesn’t appear on every attempt to comment. Just randomly.

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ll keep trying. No error this time.

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                Still trying. No error.

Yea Donw there is something wrong in the sysyem that has happened recently as up till last week I had no problems.

Comment

Same thing on Apple iPhone X IOS 13.3

Comment

raywjohnson I just got a red page, deleting a comment I decided not to send using Firefox. So it is not the operating software Edge, Chrome, Firefox, IOS, etc. It is someting in the interface between you and us. Back to the drawing board sir, and again thank you for all you do.
                  Last edited by mountainsmoker; May 25, 2020, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                    mountainsmoker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Did not have an error message this time.

• raywjohnson
                    raywjohnson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No worries. Next time you get the red screen. Scroll up and down to see any error. Send me that (or a screen shot).

• mountainsmoker
                    mountainsmoker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Will certainly do so..

raywjohnson I went back to Edge about 9 am on the 26th and have not had a red screen yet. Will let you know if I get one. Thanks.

Comment

• raywjohnson
                    raywjohnson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks! I suspect this is a caching issue. Something got corrupted in your cached version of the javascripts that control the comment system. Edge may have updated the cached javascripts (which caused the fix). Not 100% sure that is what happened.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here